BYYB Forums

Full Version: Preparing for Octoberfest at Lake Pleasant
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

James Sanders

Ahoy,

Some of you may be still thinking about coming to the Octoberfest Sailing Event at Lake Pleasant. Some may have already decided to unfurl their sails and come. Other may have already decided to remain safe in the harbours at home.

Whether you are coming or not, I can promise you that Bill Olney will be there and so will Mr. Vern. Should you come, you will also have a chance to meet the famous seadog, Miss Sheba. Miss Sheba will be happy to autograph your photo with a paw print. Miss Sheba will not charge you for a paw print autograph, but I cannot promise the same for autographs by Bill Olney and Mr. Vern. Unlike Miss Sheba, those two are genuine BYYB pirates and never overlook an opportunity for a few pieces of eight. Just be prepared for the worse, and you will be prepared.

I just spoke yesterday with a man who plans to come. He will bring a wooden catboat which he built himself. All things are looking good, but it would look a lot better if you could come and be with us. If you do not show up, we can spread an unsavory rumor or two, just to let you know you were on our mind and in our heart.

"What about water?" you ask. Water is scarce in a desert, but we do have some water hereabout. We do not have the Maine tides, but we do have ebb and flow. Take a look at this photo—

[Image: view.jpg]

Parking is not a problem. A desert has a lot of wide-open spaces. However, sometimes you need to be careful after a hard rain. You might even be able to rent your boat just to ferry people out to their cars. You might even earn a few Spanish dabloons should you come.

[Image: view4.jpg]

Unfortunately, we do have our share of powerboats and jetskiers. We try to do our best to keep them in check. Yet, somehow they manage to evade our efforts. Maybe a good water cannon migt do the trick.

[Image: view2.jpg]

"Wind?" you ask. "Will we have enough wind?" Well, I don't know, but Lake Pleasant has very good sailing winds in early morning and late afternoons. We do have wind in the desert. Would this be enough wind to fill your sails?

[Image: view3.jpg]

Hope you can join us. See you in October!
Jim, Jim, Jim. There you go again. I've told you a million times not to exaggerate. I'm thinking it won't be nearly a bad as you portray. I'm not sure now if I can make it or not. It all depends when we move. I am making patches however and if I'm not able to make the trip I'll send them along to Adla to bring down with her. I really do hope I can be there to meet Mr. Vern. He's such an inspiration.
i will be there ! i have been SOOO busy but it does not thwart my plan to be there!

a.
Quote:[Image: view4.jpg]

I am thinking that not EVERYTHING can be turned into a kayak. Although, I will give these folks credit for trying. And for having the proper safety gear. Perhaps a longer vehicle may have worked better.
:lol: :lol: Well by looking at the photos, I would think it is a good thing you don't have more water in the desert since it looks like the folks aren't too smart about water. :wink: They seem to have the "hold my beer and watch this" mentality.
That does seem to be the famous last words out here ' "Hold my beer, I'm gonna try sumthin...."

Course, them are famous last words about anywhere....
Jim does tend to exagerate just a bit, but there are flash floods and they always end up catching people in their cars. there is now a fee to be rescued even.

the stripper is just about ready. i have the new spar and gooseneck all put back together and will try and have at least one motor on it by then.

who is the new guy coming Jim? you have not shared this with me.

Pat_Murphy

Hi guys, as you can see I'm new here and I haven't even cut the keel yet on my vacationer, but I was wondering if I might still be able to attend. It'd be a great way to show my fiance' that I'm not the only pirate still around!!! Big Grin :wink:

thanks guys

James Sanders

Ahoy Pat,

Of course, you can attend. I don't even have a boat myself, but Miss Pat and I will be there. We'll even bring our seadog, Miss Sheba.

For details on when and where everyone will be, contact Bill Olney. Just send him an e-mail or personal message. (Just click on the menu bar; Bill posted a message immediately above this yours.)

Looking forward to having you join us.

James Sanders

Ahoy Bill,

The new kid on the block is none other than Willy Schlein. He is an architect, and his wife is one of our adjunct professors in the English Department. He and I just began conversing this week, and for some strange reason, he's still talking with us.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5