BYYB Forums

Full Version: Epoxypaint
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a question kinda off the wall,But eventually I am going to be putting epoxy and glass on my boat (a long ways off) but when I do can you put tint, or pigment into the epoxy? also can you put it in and roll it on like paint? I think it would be pretty durable paint if you could do this,
any one know anything about this?

Thank you as allways in advance.

Brian.
Yes Brian, you can mix pigments with epoxy to tint them. This is done all the time by industry and commercial users. And, yes you can roll them on like paint. In some cases you can also spray them. In many cases they also mix metalic pigments with the epoxy as well. You have to use pure pigments not tinting blends of other chemicals with the pigment. Graphite is occasionally used but pure lampblack is the preferred pigment if you want to go black. Copper powder is used on occasion as is aluminum powder or bronze powder. Also, in order to make a truly opaque epoxy, the amount of pigment needed is considerable. Adding enough to do that makes the epoxy weaker and it has a tendency to begin to break down quicker when exposed to sunlight.

Does this give protection to prevent worms getting into the wood? No not really, the copper clading is sheated over the wood to prevent boring by worms or copper paint applied over the epoxy to prevent marine growth. Doesn't do much good if it is encapsulated in the epoxy as it is the interaction of the actual copper with the salt water that offers the protection. But it is pretty! :roll:

Now then, epoxy doesn't have any UV protection properties. The pigment added will contribute a little but the epoxy still doesn't have any UV protection when you are done. So to add UV protection, you paint over it or varnish over it.

Kinda self defeating isn't it?

Epoxy paints are really acrylics with a hardner or catalyist added. Makes them a little tougher than the standard acrylic. But still not as good as a two part linear polyurethane that cross links with the final coat of clear poly with high UV components.

Best compromise would be the single part Porch and Deck polyurethanes like Behr or Glidden. They are tough, easy to apply, easy to repair when they get beat up and inexpensive. They can also be custom tinted to almost any color(s) you might like. And they have high UV protection.

Far easier and better if you stick to the glassing with epoxy resin, fill the weave sufficiently to prevent print thru of the glass as the epoxy cures and shrinks to expose the weave. Then make sure it is leveled/faired to your satisfaction and prime with a high quality, high build primer that is compatable with the epoxy and then apply the finish of choice.

Or...take any short cuts you think you can get away with and just don't worry about it. Good old latex exterior house paint makes good finish for these boats and is easy to repair when you beat it up, (and you will to some extent). It is inexpensive, easy to remove when it comes time to repaint and it will last with some care for many years. Hudreds or thousands of boats are built that use nothing but house paint on them and unless you tell, not many will know the difference. Best part is it is quick and easy and it iwll last.
Brian here my 2cents worth the tent in the apoxie won't help you much with the uv put on the apoxie get it like you want then paint. here is my thought on paint and I know everyone won't agree. First the paint is a minor expence considering what the lumber hardware etc. cost the paint co. spend big money testing paint, so I use house paint for the house Airplain paint for a airplain, And on a boat I use boat paint. Just my thought. Bud Smile
And here's my 2 cents worth, to go with Bud's...

The bottom of your boat is going to take some abuse. Couple of rocky beaches, couple of sandy beaches, couple of sunny beaches Confusedhock: .
Probably a couple of rough trailerings. Paint over epoxy and fiberglass. Whatever kind of paint you get, just be prepared to use it alot. I used a two-part polyurethane enamel that I love. It stands the abuse well, but is quite expensive and difficult to just "brush" on. I have had to repaint the hull twice this year, once because of beaching on the rocks, and another because of my bad temper (beaching on the boat ramp). I attribute the finish on the hull to the lack of major damage, but it took a lot more effort to repaint than if I'd used Bud's "boat paint".

Epoxy the hull, paint the hull, sail the boat.

And remember, just .01 more, and you got yerself a nickel's woth of free advise.
A wooden nickel? :lol:
Thank Y'all for the great advise I do appreciate it, Boat paint it is,
All y'all are great thank you.
Brit I hope your feeling well let me know how this works out I've been dodging the bullit on my back for years, vertebre all out of place on my lower back from when I was a stupid kid lifting weights, It puts me out of commision for a few months every few years or so, I go to expesive therapy where they get midevil on me, even put me on the rack (traction)
But eventually I will have to confront it. when I origanally did it they said I had a 60% chance of not walking after surgury, So I told the doc. when I cant walk anymore I'll be back, and have been lucky ever since.
That was years ago they probubly have much beter techniques by now.
Well again thanks for the advise folks.

Brian.
Brian

I used old fashion KIRBY'S marine enamel. It’s easy to use, coats epoxy extremely well, is easy to use and does a great job.
It's as hard as WOODPECKER LIPS
You’ll see at Nickajack.

Kayakarl
Well if It's as hard as woodpecker lips Confusedhock: It's gotta be good.

Brian
I think that's what they put in my neck fer extra strength. Woodpecker lips.