BYYB Forums

Full Version: ships wheel
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

Mike Routley

I am trying to find construction plans for a ships wheel :? So far no luck. Can one of you good folks help me out? Thanks Big Grin

James Sanders

Ahoy Mike,

As I recall, the Stevenson plans include a plan for a coaxswain wheel.
Some of us did not follow the plans, though. We simply sketched out our own and hoped for the best. When the proportions seemed about right, we made our wheel.

Speaking of best, one of the most unique designed wheels would have to be the one by Kevin Greene. It's quite intricate. Others, like John Teetsel, built a fine wheel, and inlaid the surface with white epoxy.

Others still, though, did not build a wheel at all, choosing rather to purchase one. I'm not sure how these particular wheels held up under the rigors of water, wind, and sail, but honestly, I have not heard anyone complaining. So, I guess maybe the wheel turned out OK for them.

Some folks found their wheel on e-bay. In fact, you type in the words ship's wheel and see what comes up. What you may end up with is something purely decorative, but on the other hand, you might find just what you need.

Building a wheel is a lot of fun, and there must be a number of ways to do it. The work can be exacting, though, cutting at times within a half of a degree. So, think about using a jig to help you do things with precision and with consistency.

Speaking of jigs and coaxswain's wheel, the book by John Guzzwell, Modern Wooden Yacht Consruction, discusses how to make a coaxswain wheel. There are some photos and a drawing or two. Guzzwell uses a simple jig, a router, and laminates his stock. What he does looks easy to do and is rather ingenious.
I bought a set of plans from kevin for his celtic knot wheel heres a pic of it...
http://byyb.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=721
Scroll to about the bottom of the page.
Also I have seen some for sale at hobby lobby made from the best wood china has to offer.it cost about $59.
well thats my .2

Brian.
On the original plans for the Weekender they showed how to use pre made spindles from the home center, some 2x4 material and I think they used a plywood ring to finish it off. It makes a better looking wheel then the one offered in the current plans (my opinion of course).
Hmm, You're right: we did change the wheel design. I think in order to offer a way to make them after people had mentioned having trouble finding the spindles. I should put up a planlet of the old style wheel...

Another little computer project for this winter.

Mike
Here is a better pic of my ships wheel, it is still the favorite piece on my boat.
[Image: IM000455.JPG]
Here's a picture of mine which I built (mostly) to the Weekender plans. The only differences are that I also dowelled the pieces together and am using a galvanized pipe floor flange to connect to my steering shaft.

[Image: wheel1.gif]
[Image: wheel3.gif]
[Image: wheel4.gif]
Andrew I love that flag, My folks are from Novascotia and my mom always said that flag was the true canadian flag, In fact my grandmother never did accept the maple leaf till the day she died.
I,ve never seen it used before myself have a good one.

Brian.
Brian - actually, that Red Ensign is the Ontario flag - not the old Canadian that was replaced by the "Pearson Pennant" in 1965. This one is the old Dominion of Canada flag - the coat of arms is different. I often fly the current Canadian flag over the provincial flag on the boat.

[Image: 201px-Canadian_Red_Ensign.svg.png]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_flag

If you want to stir up some controversy - ask your mother about "Canada Day" - I still usually refer to it as Dominion Day myself.
Interesting! I had wondered for some time why the other Commenwealth-type nations have a Union Jack incorporated in their flags, but not Canada. This explains a bit. Pourquoi the change? Quebec?

Mike

I've always liked the Hawaiian State flag; I read that it's similar to one used early on in North America's history, a bit prior to our revolution.
Pages: 1 2