BYYB Forums

Full Version: Figurehead
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Larry Thomas

One thing my weekender has been missing was a figurehead. I have seen a few others with them and wanted to have one. I found a white cast mermaid on ebay. Once I let her dry she will fit below the bowsprit.
[Image: 100_2251.jpg]

Andrew_Linn

One of the guys in my boat building group is a wood carver as well as a fellow Schanuzer owner. He made this figurehead of a Schnauzer in pirate costume with pistol in one hand and cutlass ion the other for me.
[Image: 11figurehead.jpg]

James Sanders

Ahoy,

What great figureheads. The dog is especially nice. A couple of folks have carved figureheads. As I recall, one builder carved an eagle's head, and of course, there is Steve Downs with his Falcon figureghead.

Angie Wilson, I believe, is also working on a figurehead. One of these days Keith Mclean will probably carve one and put all of us to shame. In the meantime, Bill Olney keeps talking to me about a chicken figurehead for my boat. Maybe the idea of the chicken was my idea. I can't really say, but it does seem if Steve carved a falcon, I should carve something else.

Thanks for the photos!

Andrew_Linn

If you want a chicken figurehead, make sure you watch the movie 'Swashbuckler' with Robert Shaw. Their pirate ship had a chicken theme, if I remember right.
Andrew
A figurehead....maybe someday Jim. I have begun designing my trailboards finally. I've had the boards cut out for over a year now but couldn't decide on what to carve into them. I'm going with a design similar to the USS Costitution with and ivy scroll and a US flag shield. I'm about half way done with the full size drawing and might be putting chisles to wood later in the week. I thought it would be a good way to remember my grandfather who was a carpenter aboard Old Ironsides while he was in the Navy. I'll even try to put some of his old tools to work on it. Some of which could have been in his hands while he worked aboard one of our American icons.

Keith

James Sanders

Ahoy Keith,

Keep us posted and post a few photos as you progress. I'm sure a lot of folks would enjoy seeing the carving develop. You may use some of the very tools once used on Old Ironsides! Wow! That is amazing, truly amazing.