BYYB Forums

Full Version: real canvas sails
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4

Andrew Sullivan

Hi everyone, I'm a newbie. I'll be building a vacationer as soon as I'm done moving.I've searched the archives for my question but I couldn't find any info. Has anyone tried using Home Depo white canvas painter's tarps as sails? I know stretching of the canvas can be a problem but how serious? I've got a sewing machine and I'm not afraid of sewing my fingers together. I'd prefer to stay away from plastic because I'm after a more traditional, salty look.Thanks.Andy
Hi Andrew.
Welcome to the madness! It becomes infectious without warning. :lol:
There are a lot of challenges to face when building a boat for the first time. The choice of sails and the cost is a significant factor. Traditionally canvas was used and it worked but with a lot of caveats attached to it. The canvas was heavy, far heavier than you would want on about the size of the Vacationer. It doesn't maintain its shape for long, it stretches out quickly. Get them wet and they are really stretched out quickly and unless they are totally dried out before storing it away will begin to mildew and weaken from rot quite quickly. They are hard to keep clean and once they begin to weaken they rip rather quickly. Re-enforcing the seams, adding patches and corner re-reinforcements are critical to make them strong enough to hold up to the stresses imposed upon the corners. Grommets pull out of canvas easier than in poly tarp or Dacron or other sail making materials. That is one of the reasons they were all sewn in traditionally. You may want to get hold of a copy of "The Sailmaker's Apprentice. Good information and you may change your mind.

If traditional is what you want, then consider a Sailrite Kit. You can obtain it in other than stark white. It will be precut so it is shaped correctly and is easily sewn at home with their kits. But honestly, white poly tarp sails from the Polytarp kits work and function well and are very affordable. But you can also just purchase white poly tarps, white duct tape and all the separate materials easily as well. They work out fine and will hold up for several seasons if you take care of them.

Larry Thomas

I use 10 oz canvas for my weekender for the tradional look and sound, and even smell. I am handy with the sewing maching and can take it in when the stretch becomes a problem. I also like it because it comes in a variety of colors, because you can dye it. Mine are a deep burgandy red, and it is true that they are heavy. I used a heavy carpet tape in the seams, and ran a 3/8" cord through them. I had pulled a grommet out this season, but I will let it go until this winter. I waterproofed the sails with a 2 to 1 mix of soybean oil and turpentine and it lasted the season. I used canvas because of the look, feel, color, and because I could silk screen it and it was cheap and left from a painting job. I hear that Tyvek makes a great sail , and that if you wash it, it becomes very soft. I will try that next.
So, I guess I would answer by saying it would depend on how often you use it, and where you store it and how much time you have to care for it. I use manila, tied my own fenders (thanks to the members here) coxcombed nearly everything I could, sewed seat cusions, sails and made various rope mats ( all the things I did in the Navy while underway). I have 2 teenagers, and teach high school, so the boat is my stress relief, and I have a lot of stress.

Andrew Sullivan

Thanks for the quick reply guys. I'll definately be getting the Sail Maker's Apprentice Barry-thanks for the tip. It's funny that you mentioned smell as one of the bonuses of true canvas sails Larry. When I was a boy, my older brothers got an old wooden Boston Whaler and it came with real canvas sails. To this day, when I smell old canvas, I think of summer sailing on that creaking old tub. I know canvas isn't the most practical choice but why spoil the beauty of a thing with reason?

James Sanders

Ahoy, Larry—

Sounds like you've done a lot of rope work. Post some photos and talk about what you did. A lot of us would enjoy hearing about your projects.
Andrew I too started sailing in the days of canvas. That smell is mildew! :lol:
Quote:why spoil the beauty of a thing with reason?

'Tis true. There is no rhyme nor reason to our actions anyway.

Canvas sails would be cool. I might suggest dying them, maybe tanbark.Don't forget to make rope fenders!!
Lest I forget, make sure you check out Steve Down's rope mast hoops, and both Steve's and Phil Gowan's homemade blocks and deadeyes.

Larry Thomas

Here is a pic of my sail. You can see the rope mast hoops and the line that that runs through it. I dyed it red after I put the hoops in which is why they are red too

[Image: 100_2255.jpg]
I'm not going to get into this one too much. It just seems funny to want traditional sail material (Home Depot duck isn't even close) on a boat lathered up with epoxy, polysulfide, polyurethane, other exotic coatings and sheathings, all placed upon the man made, laminated planking (plywood) which has high pressure, thermoset adhesive between the veneers.

Sail a boat will Egyptian cotton or flax sails first (if you can find one), handle those sails, particularly when needing a reef. Tucking in a reef with soaked natural sails is real work man. The weight penalty alone would shy me away, but frankly this is an area where universal approval of moderian fabrics has proven it's place.

Even the fine restorations and reproductions (read 7 and 8 digit efforts) are using Oceanus cloth instead of traditional natural materials. The reasons are very obvious to those old enough to remember cotton. It may seem quant and traditional, but this isn't a plank on frame yacht that can benefit in any fashion from the dramatically increased weight aloft, let alone the hours of drying time necessary before they can be lowered and stowed below.

The stability curve of this boat isn't particularly strong (typical of most flat bottomed, sheltered water, unballasted craft). If you get caught with your paints down in a gust, carrying sails that are several times what the boat was intended to hoist, you could be in a world of hurt. You may have more then heavy, wet sails to deal with.
Pages: 1 2 3 4