BYYB Forums

Full Version: Scott Atwater 5hp, is the water pump working?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
About 3 years ago I bought a Scott Atwater 5hp off ebay. They said it ran good but I never started it. Last weekend I finally tested it and it started right up. It seemed to get pretty hot though for the few minutes I ran it.

It came with the manuals and all that so I looked in there and it said the water pump would come out a hole onthe port side of the motor and that the water flow should be visible at all times.

The problem is I dont see any water flow nor do I see any hole where water could come out??? Cry

Does anyone have any insight as to where the elusive water exit might be??
[Image: IMG_1650.JPG]
It is up under the green bell housing. You should see a little tube sticking down and yes, it should have water coming out of it.

If not, the impeller may be in backwards if it is recently rebuilt or the impeller needs to be replaced.
When my Seagull's water flow stopped I put 80 lbs. of air pressure to the exit hole and blew out several dirt dobber egg casings and dried mud. After that I have had good water flow.
There is a small tube that looks like it goes into the bottom of the carb. Is that it?? its on the starboard side though..
That sounds like where gas would escape when the engine is flooded. How big is it? I don't think that is it. Like ED said, for some reason dirt dobbers love gasoline, they would always try to build in the exhaust of my Honda, I got to where I would stick a sock in the exhaust and tie a ribbon on the pull to remind me of the sock. Take a small piece of wire and ream it a bit.... if it is a dirt dobber you will be able to break it easily, if it is a screen filter, etc it will be hard to ream out.... don't force it until you trace the pipe back.
what model is it and i will look through my service manuals and see for you. also i think i may have one similar for parts if you need them.

check your private messages
ok, heres what I got.

Scott Atwater 5hp serial 37556325

Here are some pics of the underside of the motor, I dont see an exit anywhere for water.
[Image: IMG_4417.JPG]

The rubber cover in this picture is the bail-o-matic in and out, it does not work with the cooling system.
[Image: IMG_4418.JPG]

There is an indention in the starboard side back but it seems to be solid just like the rest of the casing. Plus the manual says the water pump exits on the port side.
[Image: IMG_4420.JPG]

Here you can see the little hose that goes into the bottom of the carb, I dont think this is the water pump exit....
[Image: IMG_4422.JPG]
[Image: IMG_4424.JPG]
[Image: IMG_4425.JPG]