BYYB Forums

Full Version: Sorry Adla, I renamed the rudder link. See below...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
:oops: http://members.cox.net/loveylou/pg1/rudder :oops:

Today I am the bug!!! Cry
thank you - i am stewing over a new rudder - i think i want it to be longer than the stock one and i for sure want it to have a foil shape...meanwhile, i need a plan and fast because i am working a long term substitute position at a shool and it is feeling like a job (leaving me far less free time than i am used to) .... i really only have 3 nights to get this project started, going, and finished.

a.
send your e-mail, I lost that too, and I will send a zip of the calculator right back

what a dumb ass bb343@cox.net
Oooh --- i think i get it!!! i see the template making sense in a sort of draw down way --- like it is half the foil shape Confusedhock: geeez...i had to stare at this post all night...there has to be a more non-foil way to explain this....

meanwhile my current rudder is sharp on the leading and the trailing edge - and i know this is a problem (can feel it when i am sailing)....

a.
Nice looking rudder. I may have to try a similar one on the new boat. I think one of the reasons we never have gone to foil sections is the complexity of defining a tapering foil for people who've never dealt with them. Your constant-chord rudder is probably more efficient and I bet works better, but I don't think it's as aethetically pleasing. I'll try and figure a way to show people how to do a nice, more effective, but still shaped profile rudder. Has anyone done work on the new half-elliptical wing shapes like the model gliders? I've read they're nearly as efficient as a true elliptical shape, but much simpler to make. I don't know how it works out in sailing use.

I look forward to reading comments and learning what the current art is.

Thanks,
Mike
I used a jig to shape the dagger-board on my old MiniCup to a foil shape using my table saw.

http://www.floatingbear.ca/MiniCupDaggerBoard.htm

It worked out not too bad for me but I haven't done that since and normally just "eyeball" the shape after I draw a centre line on each side of the board so that at least I'm close to symetrical.

Theoretically you could include a template with the plans that people could cut out and use to check the shape similar to what people do with patterns for a lathe.