BYYB Forums

Full Version: The long awaited Top'sl project photos
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This modification is done for the season. Have a look:

http://members.cox.net/loveylou/pg3/index
Nice work Craig, new sails, new rudder. Tell me, is all this work being done just because you got your butt kicked by Scotts little 12 footer? Guess I'm gonna have to add some power to mine to keep up with you. Maybe a spinnaker or even a gollywobbler that should do it. I'm gonna go make a second mast now so I can rig it

Keith
Kieth I am having a bad time installing the Cat V8 inboard. It fills the whole cabin and messes up the trim. Ya, that 50lb little boat of Scotts will really fly. It looks good too. Up at Buds I am goingh to tie a bucket to his rudder! That'll slow him down. That or keep all the beer on our boats. Ha, that's it...... 8)
Thats a great idea Craig, and you wouldent have to go back to port as much. Big Grin
That topsail looks awsome craig man yer boat is really comin' along,
Cant wait to see it at nickajack.

Brian.

James Sanders

Ahoy Craig,

And top of the morning to you and the fine boat you'll be sailing. You have a new rudder, a new bowspirit, and now new and larger sails. Folks won't even know it's you. Let us know how everything turns out.

If that racal Scott Widmier tries to sail past, just blast him with a good water cannon. Rumor has it that Scott has a new and unauthorized keel on his boat, a bulb and graphite keel, scaled down, of course, but a replica of what the Aussie's used on their racing yacht for the America's cup.
HA!, so the hoser sandbagged me. That little blue boat is a demon, it sails with no wind...
Craig,

Nice job on the rigging, when I have more time, I'll have to get busy on my top sail. I'm glad we have pioneers like you to show us the way.

The weather has been wet, the river a little higher than usual, and my new cabin site looksmore like a moored ship than a land home. Lucky for me, I grew up on the Texas coast, where the beach houses are all up on pilings. I saw this same river flood twenty years ago, so I built on the highest ground and another four feet up with concrete sona tubes sunk down below the frostline. The extra hight came in handy the very next week, I could fish for salmon off the deck of the first floor for several days Confusedhock: :wink:

I'll be waiting for the first test sail, I think you have a winner for the those light wind days. The hight would sure work well on lakes with hills around the shoreline. Solve some of that fluke wind stuff.

I must also confess to speed envy, keeping up with Lars and his schooner rigged skipjack and/or Jerry with his Bolger Light Schooner, can give a guy a complex if they leave me behind.
Craig, my current location (110 miles east of Ft. Pierce) will not permit a lengthy reply, but my first glances at your topsail arrangement, suggests your halyard is fastened too far up the yard (poor set from a loose leech). Are you using a "leader"? This is a line that is fastened to the topmast and the luff is hanked to it. It pulls the luff close to the mast and hardens the set.

Setting the topsail takes practice to get a good working sail. After a full hoist and the is tack hard cleated, harden the leader, which pulls the luff inward, then the sheet can be hardened.

There are a number of different topsail arrangements for small craft, each with slightly different rigging requirements. A small topsail can be set flying with only a sheet, halyard and down haul, but they have a tendency to "blow out" the luff (it sags way out from the mast) more so as wind strength increases.

I'll be home in a few days and you can drop me an email or something.