BYYB Forums

Full Version: So you have decided to join the Armed Forces???
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have decided in a career in the Canadian Armed Forces. Not as a full-time regular, but in the Canadian Armed Forces Reserve. I would join the regular service but I would likely be relocated and I have a duaghter here who lives with her mother that I would not be able to see as often, and besides that I think the wife would kill me.

I am in the recruitment process and am trying to decide which way to go. I like many aspects or the armed forces and am having a difficult time deciding if I should go into communications, The Army, or the Navy. I am already somewhat qualified for the Communications Reserve which works quite closely with the regualr force on deployments around the world. I however also have a great interest in the Army and the skills learned therein as well as the Navy (For obvious reason).

I have an appointment to speak with a recruiting councelor and discuss my options and will have to make a decision from there.

My wife is not really happy with my decision, but I want to be able to give something back to my country and the world which has given so much to me already. There is always a humanitarian need in the world as is there a need for peace keepers and support in various areas of conflict.

Decisions, decisions.
One of my Uncles served for many years and tried to get me to sign up when I was younger. In some ways I regret that I never took the opportunity to serve and at 42 it's no longer something that I could consider. I do strongly congratulate you on your decision and hope you know that we all appreciate your service.

The one piece of advice that he did give me about the Forces though was to go into artillery since they didn't have to walk as much :-)

Howard Anthony and Denis Goyette who post over on the Messing-About board are currently actively serving in the Canadian Forces - you may want to post over there as well. I'm sure they will have something a bit more helpful to offer.

Shane Heaps

Hello Shawne,

I spent eight years in the U.S. Army Nation Guard. Similar to the Army Reserve, the only real difference is that the Reserve is Federal and the Guard is State. Most of my enlistment was spent working full time. I was part of the Engineers. I operated construction equipment and specialized with the backhoe. I enjoyed that experience; I also learned a skill as well as a lot about being a leader.

Some people have said to pick an area that is not related to your civilian life. That way you can get a brake and do something different. Once in awhile I got to blow stuff up.

Good luck in your decision and in your service.

Brian R Walters

Hey Shawne,
I spent 5 years in the (army) reserves in BC, 88-93(army family). I would recommend it to anyone, provided your body can stand up to it. Being a grunt can be hard on the joints ! In comms, you'll still go through GMT (general miltary training), which everyone does. It shakes you out of your longhair, slackazz civilian lifestyle and teaches you how to walk, talk, eat, sleep and sh*t in olive drab (or white or blue). :lol:
While your wife may eventually agree with your decision, your boss is important too. I had a lot of trouble getting time off from different employers, (until I started working for a WWII vet !).

Hope the interview goes well !
Good point Shane,

I am currently in the Information Technology field. I am the head of IT for the largest privately owned accounting firm in Western Canada. (Oh wait, I'm the only IT guy for the firm) I definately thought of the CommRes just due to my civ. experience and I would be able to adapt quite quickly. However, it may be beneficial to learn some new skills just to keep things interesting. Besides that it gives me a back door in the future if I decide I want to do something different.

Brian,

I am not to worried about the physical aspects of the armed forces (Well maybe a little), I work out and Run nearly 6 days a week as it is. I will have to change my routine to concentrait on the BMQ (Basic Military Qualification - Boot Camp) requirements just to make sure I am working on the exercises practiced during the 12-14 weeks of training. I have already spoken to my employer and they are willing to give me the time off for the BMQ. After that if I can get a bit of time off a couple times a year for additional training, I will be happy with that. The company I work for is very, very flexible.

I have a meeting scheduled with the Naval Reserve this morning. I will let you know how it goes.
The Saskatchewan Navy - cool - you can go after The Last Saskatchewan Pirate

http://talklikeapirateday.com/index.php?...wan+Pirate ;-)
Andrew,

That's what I said to the recruiting officer. Land locked in the praries does not seem to be the best place for a Naval Unit. He agreed and we discussed several trades that where level with trades in the Army, CommRes, Air Force, as well as Navy. It's surprising how many of the Reserve trades have regular force equivilents. Most of the reserve trades train right along side their regular force counter parts at the training schools.

The Officer I spoke with at the unit has transfered from Air force to Army to Communications, and now in the Navy. He has been in the Armed Forces for 22 years and said of all of the departments (???) he has been involved with he likes the Navy best. He mentioned the Army is great if your a very outdoor's type person. I mentioned I liked many of the trades in the Army and the training on most of the equipment is very appealing. He reminded me that I would love carrying it all around then, even though there may be a truck 10 feet away.

I have to setup a meeting with the Army now and see what they have to say. The CommRes recruiter is not back until September.

Larry Thomas

I served 6 in the US Navy as a Boatswainsmate, and that is a job where you will learn every aspect of a ship, but has little to do with civilian life, but is an awesome experience that you cant get any other way. Consider trying something that you can only do in the military. You will enjoy the change during your training.
We often berthed next to a Canadian Navy ship so there are great travel oppurtunities. I did 2 years in the reserve component and flew from Pittsburgh to Charleston SC each month. During the summers the USNR did a 3 month Great Lakes Cruise and we bounced between US and Canada. My brother is in the USNR and he does his 2 weeks in Spain, which is an amazing country. Consider the Navy. Does Canada have a coast guard?
I am definately considering the Navy. I'm just concerned that being in central Canada my experiance may be less than I expect. The position I would most like to apply for is the Boatswain position. I think you are absolutly correct about the experience, the travel & the overall opportunities. It's a difficult decision to make however, as I am interested in the Communications as well as the Intelligence side of things.

Currently I am just trying to get all my documentation in order for the application. I still need to meet with the recruiting officer for the Army Unit here in town as well as the Communications Unit.

Besides that I am trying to improve my overall physical abilities to exceed the requirements for Basic training. I meet them already; but the recruiter basically told me the better shape I am in the easier it will be. He also mentioned that if I was in good shape then at least I would be getting some sort of break from everything else when doing the physical portions of the training......Yikes!!

Canada has a coast guard.
I spent 15 years in the U. S. Army, including regular Army, National Guard and Reserves. I owe them a lot. It was a great experience and they taught me the skills I needed for my civilian job. I was an illustrator way back before computers and it led to drafting which I have been doing for the past 40 years. If I had it to do over again I would go into the Navy. That's what I originally wanted to do but I bowed to peer pressure in High School and enlisted with a group of my friends. Always loved the water. Didn't see much in the Army.
Pages: 1 2