BYYB Forums

Full Version: Top deck to cabin bulkhead assembly question.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

Joe_Hildreth

Well here I am again, asking more questions. You would think I could do a bit better for myself. But since I can't, I am sure glad I have you all to lean on.

The model making experience is going pretty well aside from a few bumps I have had. I am looking forward to getting it 3D. The question I have might seem a bit silly but I am a little confused. I have lofted out the top deck and have all the butt joints made and the stringers attached to the side. I have been doing a little dry fitting before I actually permanantly attach the top deck to the boat.

Where the cockpit and cabin portions of the top deck come together. The plans show a small piece of 1x4 joiner to connect them. Later it shows a small stringer cut on a 12 degree angle attached to the cabin bulkhead and top deck. That illistartion looks like the 1x4 joiner is not there. Is it? or does the bulkhead sit under that joiner? If that is the case, I guess that 1x4 joiner should run all the way to the inside edge of the deck so the upright portion of the cabin bulkhead sits up against it as well?

Can someone clarify for me?

Many thanks for your time and expertise.

Smile

Warm Regards,
Joe my Vac drawings show both the panel joiner and the 12 degree stringer. It is enclosed now but as I recall the sringer sits under the joiner. Before you get this all set up be sure the top edge of the bulkhead just under the panel joiner will allow a level deck emplacement. IF the joiner sits over the deck joint and then ontop of the bulkhead I suspect it will make a hump in the deck right there. Then maybe the jopiner is fore or aft of the bulkhead. It has been too long and I can't remember the exact configuration. The importand thisng is to have the deck curve fail or water will pool on either side of the joint. On my model the joint is right on top of the bulkhead. Hope this helps

Joe_Hildreth

Craig,

I think I am following you.

I have a notch cut into the joiner that connects the forward most top deck to the middle sections to accept the tab on the forward bulkhead. And I have the stem cut so that the top deck is flush with the top of the stem. I have some fitting to do on the transom stringer. (At this scale, 1:12 it is hard for me to cut angles on the stringers so I have to sand them in.) I guess after I get a good fit, I can see a liitle better how the cabin bulkhead will play into the scheme of things.

What scale did you do your model in? Do you have pictures you can share?

Regards,
Hi again Joe. My poor model is one inch to the foot and plain bulsa. I wish now I had finished it as it turned out OK. We opted not to install all the built-ins, but went with the table, porta pottie, and full length shelves to support the deck and maintain the rigid structure. There are photos of the "as built" on my web site if you haven't seen them already. Anyhoo, here is where the model photos are:

http://members.cox.net/loveylou/pg2/index.htm
Craig that model is awsome great job.

Brian
Thanks Brian. Why are you reading this when there is still boat building to be done??? :lol: Less than 4 weeks now to Buds outing. You are going to have to come in an inner tube with a broom stick and a bath towel. I can't hear that saw running! :wink:

Joe_Hildreth

Craig,

Your model is GREAT!!! I hope mine turns out half as nice as yours. I too am doing it in 1 into to the foot. Thanks for sharing those. They are priceless!

Regards,
Your just showing off now Craig! Nice looking model, too bad you couldn't make your real boat look that nice :twisted: Put a little blue paint on that model and find a jet ski trailer to put it on and it would look just like yours on your trailer. Nice job

Keith
Heh heh heh heh ...jet ski trailer.. :lol:
what I did was to scribe the paper model onto some thin model making wood but its kinda just a lab rat. I think once I am finnished I will try that 1 to 1 ratio as well.
Well craig I'll tell ya I think I'm gonna need an innertube and a kite as there is no way this boat is gonna be done by the messabout it might be ready for the beer I hope but I dunno I finally got done sanding the epoxy off the keel so I can add the cpes but we've been having thunderstorms the last two nights
Even though I built a roof over my keel its still 4 feet short I have to put a tarp over it to extend it, I did get some bolts and fender washers, stainless steel, to try your idea I got inch and a half so the bolt will be in the center of the keel and I will drill holes the size of the washers about 3/8" in on either side after I put the cpes on I will run the bolts into the holes and pack them with thickened epoxy. whadaya think? :mrgreen:

Brian.

James Sanders

Ahoy Craig,

You rascal you! Few (if any) of us knew about your model, and what a fine model it is. Thanks for posting the photos! You've done a lot of careful work.
Pages: 1 2