BYYB Forums

Full Version: Computer Problems
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Every time we try and send attachments or pictures to friends that use AOL they can't open the attachments or view the photos and we can' view what they send us [we use Earthlink], does anyone know what is wrong?

Joe_Hildreth

Ed,

Is it every person with an AOL address or is it just a few. Can other people you send attachments to open them?

Sometimes people will insert and image into an email and the mailer will use a reference for that image (where the picture is found) and that reference may point to the originating computer but the recipient cannot see it. I am not saying you are doing that, but it can be a problem that sneaks in.

Some folks who use outlook express have their security settings set so they cannot open attachments. If it is only a couple of people who experience it, maybe the can take a look at their mailer properties to see if attachments have been disabled.

If they are using AOL's web interface, maybe there is a setting there they have to change.

If you can give some more details, maybe I can help you a little more.

Regards,
Joe I will get my son to explain it better after he gets off work tonight. I am not very good with computers.

Joe_Hildreth

OK Ed. I will keep an eye on the thread.
Joe, this is David... Ed's son. It seems to happen whenever we receive mail forwarded mail from AOL and from a few other places. It seems to only happen when mail is forwarded. Whatever was forwarded appears as a .eml attactchment. If I click that file, my computer says they're are no programs assigned to open that kind of file. If I forward the mail to my web-based Gmail account I have no problem reading it. I tried lessening the security setting on my Outlook Express program but it didn't help. Apparently mail we forward to AOL is unopenable also. Any ideas? Thanks.

Joe_Hildreth

David,

I done a little searching on it and it could be a couple of things. My wife and I had a similar problem with some pictures her cousin was tying to send or rather forward from her AOL account. The pictures would show up as a broken link. If the contents of the link were examined, the source of the images showed where on her hard disk the images could be found. The problem was that the images were not on my wifes computer (as they shouldn't be). This problem was solved by having her aunt attach the images as an attachment and not inline with the email itself.

What most of these things boil down to is how the email client (Outloook Express, Outlook, AOL and a host of other providers) implement MIME. MIME was set up top allow a lot of things, but mostly how to embed things into an email, like a Word DOC or a picture. MIME lets you use that fancy stationary in your emails. You probably get the idea.

Now I am an old timer, meaning simply that when I first got on the internet, bandwidth was expensive, so I don't use MIME email messages. I encode all of my email using plain text and anything I want to pass along is passed along as a file attachment. Not to mention, plain text emails are much smaller in size, therefore saving bandwidth.

I suspect the problem lays in how AOL handles the forwarded email. In a plain text email, they are all in the same message. In MIME a forwarded email may be an attachment. the .eml extension kinda indicates this is what is happening. I have a friend whos wife send me a lot of forwarded jokes but I recieve them this way and outlook can open them.

If your program is telling you that it has nothing to open an .eml file with, it should also give you the chance to select a program to open it with. If it does, select outlook express and tell your computer to use it as the default program for *.eml files. One you ave done that, Outlook should just open them when you double click on the .eml attachment.

Another thing you can do is ask you AOL friend to send you mail as plain text. This should force the message as either a text attachement or as text inline with the message they send.

I know I rambled there quite a bit. If I need to clarify anything, please ask and I will do what I can. If need be, maybe you can have one of your AOL friend forward something for me to look at, and I can delve deeper into the problem.

Warm Regards,

Joel Coley

OLEXP: Unable to Open EML File Attachments in Outlook Express
View products that this article applies to.
Article ID : 312355
Last Review : June 28, 2004
Revision : 1.0
This article was previously published under Q312355
SYMPTOMS
When you attempt to open an .eml attachment in Outlook Express, either the file may not open or you may receive an error message that states that there is no program associated with this file type.
Back to the top

CAUSE
This behavior can occur if an installed third-party e-mail program has an associated .eml file type.
Back to the top

RESOLUTION
To resolve this behavior, either run the Msimn executable file with the /reg option to force Outlook Express to re-register its file types, or re-register the .eml file type in My Computer.

To run the Msimn executable file with the /reg option: 1. Quit Outlook Express.
2. Click Start, and then click Run.
3. In the Open box, type msimn /reg, and then click OK.
To re-register the .eml file type in My Computer: 1. On the desktop, double-click My Computer.
2. On the Tools menu, click Folder Options.
3. Click the File Types tab.
4. Under Registered file types, click EML Outlook Express Mail Message, and then click Advanced.
5. Click Open, and then click Edit.
6. Type the following single line in the Application used to perform action box:
"C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\MSIMN.EXE" /eml:%1
7. Click OK, click OK again, and then click Close.

Sounds like this is your prob to me.

This is straight from the microsoft support maybe it will help
Joel
Thanks Big Grin for the help, my son was finaly able to get the E-Mail links to work.