BYYB Forums

Full Version: Geo Cache
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This looks like it would be a fun thing to do with your spare time and a gps. I found a website that gives you the location of hidden treasure containers. There are caches hidden all over the world for you to find. All you need to do is locate them with your gps. Bring along something to leave in the container and take something home with you. You can even set up your own treasure chest and leave the coordinates for others to find. Check out the site and maybe we can even set up some caches from the BYYB. http://www.geocaching.com/ I'm going to hunt a few down this weekend. There are probably 30 of them within 25 miles of my house. One is only 1.4 miles down the road from me, it will probably be my first hunt. Good luck with your own hunting.

Keith

Brian R Walters

Keith,
I've been 'caching for a while now and it's a lot of fun, like going for a walk but you're not sure where to ! One note though: when you find a cache, make sure no muggles (non-cachers) see the spot. I've come across a few that were destroyed by people not knowing what they were. Have fun!!
I found 2 today, it was a lot of fun. I took the kids with me and we hiked across a cable bridge crossing a creek and finally found the cache hidden in the woods under some sticks. We signed the log and added to the cache for someone else to find. The other one I found with my dog. It was just a mile or so from the house hidden in an old stump near a soccer field. I'm looking forward to finding more some other time. If you have a gps you should try to find some in your area, it's a great thing to do with your kids.

Keith

Larry Thomas

I love caching. About 8 years ago my wife bought me an Eagle gps unit. She read the clues I was dropping and bought it for Christmas. But I couldnt figure out what to do with it once I had it. Along came Geocaching. It is a modern day treasure hunt and it was featured on CSI when a killer hide a gun in one. My kids love the game and there are hundreds around. We found some hidden in a 35 mm film canaster in downtown Pittsburgh, and we have done virtual caches where you have to have someone at home capture your photo in a web cam. We even had to find a sunken cache in a large pond, using a canoe, and marked only with a bobber. A companion to the game is finding and photo-ing the benchmarks left by the USGS when the states were survayed. The players are much like our forum members here, very friendly and willing to help, and we do the cach in trash out system were we pick up trash as we find it during the hunt. We have a big contest each year at a local state park followed by a picnic. This would be a fun game to play at BYYB outings