BYYB Forums

Full Version: The Promised Rudder Photos, finally...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Well here they are, the promised photos and a bit of a tutorial. I am sorry I didn't think to take any in-progress photos. Most of you have built at least one rudder so it should not be a stretch to imagine what I explain. This was a fun project, cheap to build, and the new foil rudder really mades a big difference in performance. I recommend it to any Stevenson owner/builder. As always, questions and comments are encouraged and cheerfully answered. Smile

Here is the link, please wait on the photos they are a bit slow. Sorry.

http://members.cox.net/~loveylou/Index.htm

James Sanders

Ahoy Craig,

Wow! Great article, great photos, and helpful information— that's a combination hard to beat. Thanks, Craig. The rudder looks great.
I look forward to giving it a turn on Lake Nickajack. I'd like to see how much difference there is between mine and yours now. We'll have to take yours out then hop on mine and see how much change there is. It looks great, and I like the prop guard, I still need to put one on my motor. I have a few other things I want to do on the boat before the messabout, I jsut have to get my butt out there and make some dust.

Keith
I think when I get to that point, If I ever get to that point :?
That is what I am gonna do Thanks Craig.
Brian.
Well, read the article, got the pine lumber yesterday, ready to build my Mk 4 rudder.

I like the prop guard, looking at the port side of my rudder, probably shoud have had one sooner, glad it was made of maple.

Last year I rebuilt the rudder box using 2x2 stock. I had some plywood shims to fill the gap with the old rudder, so the amount I'll have to shave off the top will be less.

I'll try to squeeze the construction in between sailing and such this coming week. Maybe take some progress pics too.

Greg
Kieth it will be interesting to compare the two boats. our hulls are the same so the data will be pure. We can get all the comparative parameters to add to the file. Good deal.

Thanks Jim It really was a fun poject and I thought it would help someone.

Brian, I can't hear that saw running. The messabout is coming on fast! If you don't have a boat you will have to be the data collector!!!

Good deal on your new rudder Greg. I would like to add the pictures to the file if we may and round out the project. I have been toying with the idea of setting up a server for this kind of thing. Special interest , modifications, etc. I am hopeing to get out again this weekend. It is still 97 degrees this afternoon with a wind chill of about 105!
Still it is nice onthe water if there is wind. Blows the humidity inland.

Mark_Gudschinsky

I can see the photos! I get the blank frame with the little symbols in the top left corner. I've been anxiously waiting!

Any Ideas?
What browser are you using? Try IE.
well - now i HAVE TO make a new rudder...i pulled my trailer out of the water this weekend and didn't notice that Morgaine's stern had whipped around...hehehe i broke my rudder in TWO (and some other pieces) ---lucky this redneck pirate had a roll of electrical tape 8) that got 'er done fer the weekend:

[Image: P8190125.sized.jpg]

NEW RUDDER -- craig - i will check out the photos and the info.
thx

a.

James Sanders

Ahoy Adla,

Is that you, Adla? Is that one of the patches made by Steve? Almost did not recognize you. When Bill Olney and I are together, we often travel incognito— at least, we try. Bill and I both have a reputation we have to uphold, you understand.

Sorry about the rudder breaking, but it seems you had the immediate fix. Now, you'll have an excuse to build an even better one.
Pages: 1 2