BYYB Forums

Full Version: Vacationer top deck lofting question.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Joe_Hildreth

Hello all,

I have decided to make a 1:12 scale model of the vacationer. I have decided to do this for two reasons.

1) I think it will give me an idea of what goes into the real thing. (Within reason)

2) I have some major additions to make to te house first and my mate does not seem to think a new boat fits in the schedule before the house addition. (I have to respect that. She knows where I sleep! :oops: )

But I digress ...

I have the keel and bottom deck finished and assembled. And here I am starting to show it off all grins and whatnot. I decided to sit down and loft the top deck tonight.

If you look at the drawing, it shows one of the side top deck pieces and the opposite back portion of the top deck being lofted on the same piece of plywood. The problem is, there is no way I can see the back deck portion fitting on the piece of plywood as drawn.

My question is, can you actually do this on the real boat? It does not seem to work for me no matter how I move the lines. The 47 inch outside mark is not going to fit. Or am I just missing something?

DO I need to loft a side piece on one sheet and a back piece on another and then use those cut pieces on the opposite sheet. (Hope you all followed that.)

Warm Regards,
Joe,
There is a corrected version of that sheet. It came from someone down in Florida a couple of years ago. He moved the lofted lines slightly to make it fit better on a sheet of plywwod. I have it printed out. It was on the old forum at one time. I can fax it, scan and e-mail, or snail mail a copy.
Ken

Joe_Hildreth

Ken,

That would be great. I am open to any of the above. If you just want to scan and email, you will find me at xavier at gtec dot com. If you would prefer one of the other methods, email me and I will send you the info.

Thanks a bunch, I was wondering what I was going to do with it.

Big Grin

Regards,
Here it is...
[Image: loftdecl.jpg.jpg]

Brian.

Joe_Hildreth

Thanks Brian,

That helps a lot!

Thanks again.

Regards,
Thanks Brian.
Joe, that was easy. I had dug it out and was just looking for your answer. I'll copy the drawing to my PC for later reference. I still have the 3 laminations of the keel clamped together in my shop. Hope to get it glued up and order plywood soon. Too much life going on and not enough time.
Good luck.
Ken

Joe_Hildreth

Ken,

I feel for you. I am itching to start the boat but if I do that before some of the renovations are done on the house my wife would have my scalp.

So in the meantime, I thought I would get a little fix by doing a scale model as close to the actual plans as I could. I have never done anything like this, so I am hoping it helps with the learning curve as well.

As far as progress on the model, I have the keel and bottom deck done. complete with stringers and panel joiners. I have the transom, forward bulkhead and cabin bulkhead cut out. And now thanks to the updated drawing, I have all six pieces of the top deck lofted, I need to cut them out but progress is being made.

I am still up in the air as to how much of the internal cabin stuff I can really do at this scale and the room that will be available to manuver inside the model.

Just in case if anyone wants to know, rather than using scale lumber for the whole project, I am using laminated 110 pound cardstock. It seems to be working out very well, except as stringers where I am using balsa wood.

at 1" = 1' scale (1:12) the 110 pound cardstock like you buy at wally world is super close to 1/8" thick.

I can post photos of the progress if anyone is interested.

Regards,