BYYB Forums

Full Version: Lantern
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Has anyone ever used a LED lantern? If so what do I need to look out for and what brands are best?
What do you mean when you say LED lantern? I've seen some at home depot that are yard lights and the LED flickers from above down into a candle looking cup and makes it look like flames. Or are you talking about running lights?

I am planning on making some LED track lights for the roof of the cabin and under the deck area in the galley. I'm going to modify some of the LED christmas lights for that since they are so much cheaper than buying LED's individually.
bill olney gave me a coleman led lantern/ceiling fan - i will use it in the boat this trip and let you know how it goes. i can also put it in the tent....it is cute and runs on batteries. The nice part is the fan.

a.
The one I am looking at is by JEEP, it has 12 bulbs. Most reviews I have read say they are good if you don't try reading by it and if a bulb goes out throw it in the trash. On the positive side they have long battery life.
I am sure Paul will come on here and tell you all about it.

However, LED bulbs have a very low draw for the amount of light they offer. I am unfamiliar with the lanterns, but LED bulbs through out on a boat are THE bulb for evening/night vision.... many come with red/white in the very same fixture or they are very simple to build.

See you at Nickajack. Git'er done.
Hi Ed,

Here is an article in duckworks on LED's as cabin lights: http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/05/arti.../index.cfm . I ordered various sized dome lights from http://www.superlumination.com/ which was mentioned in the article and have been happy with the level of illumination I got when I tested them. While they aren't nearly as bring as an incandescent bulb they would provide enough light to navigate your cabin by and read a book. About the level of a flashlight. I haven't yet installed them in my MacGregor or any of my homebuilt boats.

Speaking of, I went to a raft-up with my local sailing club and then motored back to the marina at 10pm on a moonless night. My sweet daughter kept turning on the cabin light which destroyed my night vision each time given the brightness and angle. Having a light which is just enough to read by but no brighter isn't a bad thing.

One final thought, on my Pocket Cruiser I had not eletrics installed (unlike your nice setup Ed). I ended up using a tap light (the dome lights you tap to turn on) installed on a screw on one of the verticle cabin joiners. It gave out plenty of light, lasted for a good long while, and was ultra simple and foolproof.

Brian R Walters

Ed,
We're looking at using LEDs on our boats to reduce electrical loads. Superlumination sells LED festoon bulbs that will fit most automotive style dome lights. The drawback is that they are definitely better as area or ambient lighting (dome and courtesy lights) than directional or spot lighting. There are also dimmer modules made for LEDs that will allow you to reduce light output, but they're still pretty pricey. A few manufacturers (Aquasignal, Hella, and Innovative Lighting) make nav lights that meet visibility requirements, but you pay for it - like everything else ! They do, however, allow you to run a lighter guage of wire, especially up the mast. Another curious thing about LED lighting that we've discovered is that placement is really important because, if the light is behind you, the shadow that is cast is much darker than with incandescent lights. I plan on using them down low in the cabin (amber) and cockpit (red) when I get to that point.
Sometimes I play to rough with folks......... sorry.

Seriously Ed, LED's are great on boats. Randy just bought two little clip on deals that clip onto your ear like a cell phone head set. I am amazed at how small and how much light they put out.
I just bought a "Jeep Lantern" off e-Bay for $6.00 plus shipping. I will find out if it is any good at Nickajack. From what I have read the main draw back is if a bulb burns out it can't be replaced.
Don't waste your money buying a "Jeep Lantern". It won't give off enough light to see anything more than a foot away. It seems to have 12 miniture spot lights built into one larger bulb.