BYYB Forums

Full Version: Lost Plans, Lost at Sea
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

James Sanders

Ahoy,

I've lost my Stevenson plans. At least, I have mislaid them and simply do not know where the plans might be. I don't understand how I could have done that, but I did.

I have not looked at the plans in over 3 years. Maybe the plans simply got up and left on their own. I was just going to look at the sliding hatch and the rail across the stern. Nothing serious, nothing impolite, nothing impossible, but now unless the plans turn up, I will either squint at photographs of boats, or simply come up with my own invention.

Wait, not all is lost. I found a book, a nautical book that has been lost at sea for some three years as well. Maybe there is hope for the plans. Maybe there is hope for me. Maybe not. Such as it is. Such as it is.
Not to worry Jim, the rail could use some changing anyway. Maybe some turnings and carvings. The hatch per plans works but you could do a lot better. Check out George Buelers hatch in his book. That's a hatch you can stand on and it will take what ever you give it. I made mine from his book and its good and stout. I stand on it while I raise the mast. Now stop searching for the plans and get back to work

Keith
JIm mine are stock and I am not real happy with it. Check the Sketch book and the net for ideas.

James Sanders

Ahoy,

Thanks Keith and Craig. I'll see if I can find an alternative. The Stevenson site is back up and running now, so I can see what the Stevenson's did.

I'll take a look at the George Buehler book as well. In the meantime, I have started work on a companionway slide. Maybe I can post a photo or two a little later.

Thanks again for the help and encouragment.

Indeed, I found some photos of a Buehler boat, complete with taffrail. Keith, these turnings look quite salty, quite salty indeed. You've got to admire, simply admire mooring bitts such as these—

[Image: Bueh1.jpg]

Aboard this boat there also resides a true blue seadog. This is getting better all the time. A good boat deserves a good seadog. And this boat has such a seadog. We, too, have a seadog— the famous and fearless, Sheba Girl. Now, if I can just finish my boat . . .

[Image: Bueh2.jpg]

Here's what I call a nice afternoon sail. Nothing quite like it. I can feel the surge under my feet now as our boat fights its way over the next wave, sails unfurled, brine coming over the bow and into the face of the helmsman. This is how sailing should be. A wooden boat, a nautical white sail, a faithful seadog, and an unsubdued pounding sea.

[Image: Bueh3.jpg]