BYYB Forums

Full Version: Birdsmouth Mast
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Joe_Hildreth

I remember seeing here a while back, perhaps before the storm came and blew a lot away, a tutorial or example on how to make a birdsmouth mast. My searches cam up with little. Can someone direct me to that resource again?
Here is about the best information available other than the article from Wooden Boat Magazine.

http://users2.ev1.net/~fshagan/bm.htm

If you are building a Vacationer in the future, You might want to consider this. For the best birdsmouth mast as far as functionality, Make it straight instead of tapered until you get above the height of the gaff jaws. Then taper it down to the smaller size. Keeping the mast a constant diameter will make either lacing the sail to it or using mast hoops easier to work with and your gaff jaws more functional. The difference in weight is neglegible.

Build it in halves with plastic sheeting seperating the halves for assembly. Then clean up and finish the inside of the mast and install plugs, wiring etc. Then assemble the two halves.

Your staves do not have to be full length, they can be staggered or scarf joined from shorter lengths. If you can find it, you might want to consider using Sitka Spruce for its strength to weight ratio.

Just my opinion having worked with both tapered and straight masts and gaff jaws, lacing, parrel bead hoops and both wood and plastic hoops. Making up a birdsmouth bow sprit is not going to make a significant difference in weight savings but will in strength. Good solid wood generally works better.

Install plugs at the bottom, top, and everywhere that there will be attachments to the mast. (thru bolts or stress points) If you plan on having a mast top light, you might want to run a pair of wires up the inside as well.

Joe_Hildreth

Thanks Barry for the information. I remember seeing this before and will be helpful indeed. Thanks for the other info as well.

:-)