BYYB Forums

Full Version: bondo
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Tom erhart

Things are going fairly well since i got help on the"station line 13 blues" Iam getting close to flipping it over for hole filling and glassing. My problem is.......I just cant make out in the video what kind of Bondo is being used for coating the glass after resin has been applied. The can is turned sideways and i cant read it. It dosent look like the same ive been using to fill screw holes.
You'll want to use any particular brand that ends up being fairly easy to sand Smile

What I personally do is save up my sanding dust from the sander and mix it with resin and use that. That way you get a fairly close colour match as well.
If you used epoxy don't use bondo. Mix up some epoxy with filler added to it. If you are using polyester resin you can use any type of bondo, but remember bondo absorbs water so be sure to get a lot of good paint on it

Keith
Tom,
The Stevenson's used vinylester resin to build their Weekender for the video and for most of their other boats as well. They used a vinylester fairing putty called Microlight in the video. Unlike Bondo or other polyester based resins it is waterproof, easy to sand and less expensive than using epoxy with fillers. It also has a bit longer working time and faster cure. It can be used over epoxy resins with good results or polyester or vinylester resins as well. There are a number of distributors who carry that or a similar product that is used the same as Bondo but is vinylester based.

It is primarily used in the automotive industry but is also used extensively by professional boat builders who use vinylester rather than polyester resins.

Tom erhart

OK now iam with the program again. Thank you again for replying so quickly.