BYYB Forums

Full Version: rub-a-dub tub
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ok I have a strange question, I was wondering if the west system epoxy could be used on a bath tub, I have a fiberglass tub fairly new and it has a small crack at the bottom edge inside, So I was wondering if west numbers would be any good to maybe fill in the crack?
Thank you for your advise in advance.

Brian.

P.S. I have seen the tub repair kits and it is just two part epoxy, I figured if west would work I have a bunch of it.
I'm not sure about bathtubs, but since I have had tubs of epoxy sitting around, I have fixed just about everything with it.
Broken plastic part off of the fridge, kids toys, Highland dance practice sword, just to name a few.
I would definitely give it a shot.
Making it look nice would be the challenge.

My 2cents,
Steven Goodman
Brian it will work. I took one of the girls at work some to repair her tub and it worked fine. I use Raka 2 to 1 and some sanding dust to thicken it and it did fine. Give it a try. What have you got to loose ? Bud.
I Thank Y'all for your help,
I think that I definetley will try it out.
Maybe I'll rough it up a bit with some sand paper first, then apply the thickened epoxy, As far as apperance I dont really care its my private privy anyway.
Again thanks to Y'all for the help

Brian.
i think it will work - i am going to do the very same thing on some stress cracks that are in a spa that was given to me....fill with west and 404 with a little blue pigment and then filler 'er up and soak -

a.
Epoxy on stress cracks, easily identified as spider web like looking things in corners, around bolts or other fasteners and high load areas, will work fine. Use the usual wet out and thickened fill techniques we use in imperfections, on our boats. Dry pigments can be added to the epoxy and I have had luck with acrylic paints, though don't recommend large areas be "color matched" with it. Dry pigments can be had at any paint supply store.

If the laminate is cracked nearly or fully through, then it will need reinforcement with fabrics. It would be wise to access the reasons the damage occurred, so you can add sufficient material to prevent it from reappearing. This is also true of stress cracks, which may require some reinforcement on the back side, to increase the strength in the area, so the stress cracks don't return.

Fiberglass tubs and shower enclosures, often have repairs made before shipment from the manufacture, resulting from factory damage. These repairs usually are polyester and gel coat in nature, but also can be epoxy. I know a remodeler that uses epoxy to fix these types of products, saying polyester repairs, unless very small, don't hold up as well.