BYYB Forums

Full Version: speaking of towing capacity . . .
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
As we will be happily getting rid of our 1994 Taurus Station Wagon (on the last legs of it's second transmission) this fall, I have convinced my wife that the new vehicle will need to tow the weekender.
So, what kind of towing capacity is required for a weekender and trailer. I am looking at an SUV with a 2000 lb rating. Will this suffice, or too skimpy???
Thanks,
Steven Goodman
it's best to go on the heavy side when towing a boat. Those ramps can be tough sometimes
A 2,000 lb capacity will be fine for a Weekender. If the tow vehicle is an all wheel drive or 4 wheel drive, you won't have any issues with ramps even at minus low tide if you can launch at all at low tide. Extra cooling capacity on the transmission would be a good idea if it doesn't come as part of a towing package.
2,000 pounds isn't much to tow. If you decide to get a smallish car, front wheel drive will be better at the ramp then rear wheel drive and handle slightly better on the road, all wheel drive or 4x4 being the best at the ramp. Get the trailer towing package if buying a new car. Typically it includes a bigger radiator, oil cooler, trans cooler, maybe bigger brakes, posi, rear springs and of course the hitch. If buying used and planning to tow a lot or longer distances, you should spring for better brake pads, trans cooler and oil cooler.
I've been managing nicely for the past few years now with a Chevy Malibu, and depending on whether you check the door or the manual you get either 1250 Lbs., or 1000 Lbs. It's done fine at the ramps, being a front wheel drive, so the pulling wheels are well away from the slime. Granted, I do get nervous taking longer trips with it.

I'd have been happier with anything 1500 or better for a tow rating, so long as it was front wheel drive, but I live in a fairly flat area. If you live near a lot of steep hills, think of upping the rating, or adding the recommended cooling extras.