BYYB Forums

Full Version: sandpaper
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Steve Cherry

I am in the process of sanding the body filler and the sandpaper I'm using is clogging up very quickly which renders it ineffectual rather quickly. Is there a particular type of sandpaper that works better on this body filler? or do I just need to change the sandpaper frequently? I apply the bondo one day and sand the next so I am assuming that the bondo is cured enough to sand. Any tips would be appreciated. thanks.
If you have a fair bit of material to remove, you may want to go to using a surform shaper rather than sandpaper. I've even used autobody shapers. I usually only sandpaper to finish - but then again I don't think I own any sandpaper higher than 80 grit Smile
Is the sandpaper gumming up like the bondo is not quite cured?

I had a problem with not using enough hardener when I was fairing my boat and I ended up having to scrap it all off and start over. It just wouldn't setup.

Steve Cherry

Thanks for your replys; the sandpaper I'm using that is gumming up is 80 grit. Maybe I'm not putting enough hardener in the mix. I thought that the more hardener you use the faster it sets up, so I was trying to go easy on the hardener so I would have more working time for the bondo, i.e., a longer pot life. But maybe the lesser amount of hardener I'm using is just causing the mix to soft and hence the gumming of the sandpaper. The next batch I mix I'll try a little extra hardener and see what happens. I'll let you know. Thanks again for your thoughts.
Bondo should set in a couple to three hr. so it will sand dust. To little hardner and it will never set good. I suggest you mix small batches no bigger than a golf ball and add about 3/4 nch of hardner and see how it works.I usually cut out some cardboard squares to mix it on and change squars every batch or two so I dont have any of the old stuff in my new batch. Good luck Bud.

Steve Cherry

I think you're right, Capn Bud. Thanks for your thoughts. I think I've been mixing batches that are too large and not using enough hardener. Smaller batches with more hardener should do the trick. I'll try that this morning and post the difference in the results. Thanks again.