BYYB Forums

Full Version: *ALERT* Watch For Really Old Resin Glue Date Codes!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Ken_StJohn

I purchased a 4-lb tub of Plastic Resin Glue from ACE the other day which I had special ordered since the stores don't carry that size. It came directly from the ACE warehouse to my local store.

When I mixed the batch it was really weird. As the powder hit the water, it almost instantly clumped. Further stirring made it the consistancy of wood filler putty. I thought I must have measured incorrectly so I added a little water. The mix remained thick and a pale beige and didn't seem to want to accept water.

I discarded the batch and started over with the same result. I mix by the recommended method - weight - using a digital scale accurate to .01Oz so I know the ratios by now are correct. I suspected incorrect storage handling at the warehouse.

I contacted DAP and researched the date code which turned out to be March 2004. Considering the shelf life of only 12-months, this is just a tad over.

Turns out I've been bying glue that has expired more than a year ago. It seems the issue is that it continuously absorbs moisture as it sits on the shelf. After a year DAP feels it will no longer meet the design parameters. Pretty Scary.

Here's what they told me for date codes:

(my "0476" code) - "The one on your product is an older code, 2004, 76th day, or March 15th, 2004, so it is over 2 years old. The recommended minimum shelf life is 12 months.

The new batch coding system is month, year, and day.
first digit, January thru September 1 - 9, October, November, and December, 1st 2 digits 10, 11, 12.
Next digit represents the last digit of the calendar year, 5 2005, 6 2006
last 2 digits, day of month.

So a 4 digit number is Jan thru Sept, and a 5 digit number October thru December

12512 December 12th 2005
2512 February 12th 2005.

I also found out that the most recent format is Year/Day of Year/Daily Batch Number. So, you may see something like "6653" which means 2006/65th day/batch number 3.

I went back to the store and returned the tub. I looked at the 1-lb sizes on the shelf and wrote down the "0189713" date code and contacted DAP. This is their reply:

"The batch number that you provided is actually an older style batch, preceding the coding system that we had yesterday."

This means it is before 2004.

I am not sure what to do at this point regarding what is already on the boat except I have checked it and it seems hard enough for sure. I intend on ordering a case of 4-lb tubs (4-each per case) to get fresh stock from someone other than ACE. I am going to have to find a way to verify the date codes before I buy anything though and I suggest you do the same!
Way good info. Thanks, Ken
Thats really good information Ken you have me checking my tubs right now, I think I'm safe, Thank you.

Brian.

Tim_Schuy

So where does one find the batch code on the 4.5 pound tub of this stuff?

I just got one from AceHardwareOutlet. The only sticker I see has a number 181 on it. But I suspect that this is not the code....

Thanks in advance,

Tim
I think it was on the upc code.

Brian.
UPC codes are generic to the product and manufacturer, (distributor in some cases), product title, size of package and catagory identifier. They do not contain particular information as to dates of mfg. cost or price. At the retail level the UPC can be entered into a retail establishments inventory system and a price assigned locally at the retailer. Generally the retailer just stocks it and trys to rotate their inventory so the oldest stock is sold the soonest or they would end up with nothing but old inventory. With some retailers, some of this stock can sit on their selves or in their warehouses for years before it sells. All of the UPC codes from old stock and new stock will be the same if the packaging and products are the same.

Expiration or mfg. date codes are almost always stamped on the containers or labels in an out of the way place that isn't conflicting with the labels or othe information on the package. Bottoms of containers in ink, tops of containers or sides along a seam if that type of container. On some products, (perishable) they have to be "Use by" dates. Others with long shelf lives don't have a requirement to use that information. It varies with mfg and source. Lots of things don't have any requirements to identify mfg. date or location.

On items such as this, they tend to have a long shelf life and come codes will be batch identifiers only. That is most likely the case with most adhesives.