BYYB Forums

Full Version: Bulkheads
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[Image: bythestpscopy.JPG]

I have finished cutting my bulkheads,they need a little trimming
but I will do that as I install them I'm going to take a stab at
lofting out my decks tonight.
Brian.
As a suggestion, wait until it is time to fit your bulkheads before trimming out the notches in the corners. That way you can trim them to the actual size of the stringers you've used.

Ken_StJohn

Yeah, I agree except that I cut a slightly larger profile of a stringer out of scrap and traced it onto things like bulkheads, then cut the notches out. Worked great!
I am going to try a combination of both and see what I come up with.
Ken I checked out your site and saw a pic. of your building jig/cart I like the idea and I think I may try it out, what did you use 1"x6",s? if all goes well I will be slapping somthing similar to yours together saturday morning. Right now I'm lofting my decks :? (fun, fun, fun) I got some measurement wrong and had erase half the sheet and start over the good news is I think I got it.
Brian.

James Sanders

Ahoy, Brian—

You're doing a nice job on the bulkheads! I remember how nervous I was when I cut our bulkheads. You're making good progress, and before you know it, all those parts will magically assemble into a boat. Good luck with your boatbuilding!
Thank You Jim I appreciate the vote of confidence.
Yeah I was pretty nervous cutting them out I'm no wood worker so have limited exposure to a skill saw.
Hopefully I can get those deck parts lofted tonight and maybe cut out as well if so at some point this weekend I can go 3-d, I may be dreaming but
I sure am a hopin!

Brian.

Ken_StJohn

Brian:
Here's some closeups on the trolley construction. The frame is 2x8's to allow for the middle supports to drop down per the details on this page:

http://home.comcast.net/~WeekenderProject/TrolleyPix/

Enjoy!
Thanks for that Ken if I'm not 3-d this weekend, I will have the trolly built. Thats a really good idea made simple, Man I thank you for your ideas you've saved me alot of time, I had some ideas rolling around in my head but nothing complete, and way to complicated as compared to your trolly and your clamping jig.
I have to go get a couple more castors, I got some really large wheels for my trolly two castors, and two straight, i got the large ones because I will be rolling this thing from my back yard to my front over lawn and dirt.
I didn't think of using four castors Thank You.

Brian.

Ken_StJohn

Forgot to include the dimensions....

The two long side boards measure 10'-2"- not critical just what I had laying around. Be careful not to get these too long or the front of the keel's curve will end up sitting on the end board and will always want to slide down.
The outer two boards comprising the ends measure 6'-6"-again not critical.
The spacers/doublers on all four corners are fastened on the end boards such that their board width (7-1/2") is horizontal which guarantees equal spacing from corner to corner.
The center two support boards running side to side hung on joist hangers were spaced equally apart from either end. Their length is what ever it ended up needing to span side to side (approx 5'-3"). For the height placement of these two boards, I placed the keel on the trolley such that it hung equally off either end and then added the two boards at a height to just contact the bottom of the keel.
I used 3/8" x 3" lags with flat washers under the heads for the frame assembly and 1/4" x 1-1/2" lags with flat washers to attach the wheels. Standard joist hanger nails were used to attach the hangers to the middle two boards.

Hope this helps!