BYYB Forums

Full Version: Everglades Challenge Boat.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
How about some input on a everglades challenge boat. I know Scott is intrested in making this little trip and we would need one more nice young strong hansome and not to bright sailor. Maybe the BYYB could help sponser a boat next year. Thoughts please. Bud. :mrgreen:
Who ya calling not too bright!! :x :x Actually, I have decided to use my 8' flying mouse for the challenge and will fish for food. Now who is laughing?! :lol:

Don't know if I will every get to go but it is an interesting mental exercise in design. Got to see a Core Sound 17 at the SW sailstice. This is the design that won this year.
Scott I wasen't talking about you in that statement. I also put hansome in that sentance, you should have know I wasen't talking about you. I know what won it and who won it and the time. I get the SCA also. I was thinking along the core sound 17 maybe mike could help us with a Stevenson design along those lines. I was thinking maybe a little lighter and a little wider with lee boards and mast on a tabernacle, oars, and a coupleof light weight push poles. WE have enough time to chew on it a few days. Lets go guys and gals thoughts please Bud. Smile
If you field a good rowing, light air boat and hope there's no wind or a fast, planning sailer, praying the wind will hold.
Ya kidding Bud?!? Of course I am handsome :wink: ! BTW I love SCA and wish it was published weekly. A flat bottomed skiff like the Stevenson boats would be excellent for the thin water experienced along some of the trip but the keel would cause problems both with the beach launch and thin water. What you want for both those portions is something that is extremely lightweight with a flat bottom that floats in inches of water. Of course, this wouldn't be ideal for rougher water sailing.

The weekender has a dory shaped hull with some proven ability to handle rough water. Plus, the gaff rig can be made to reef real easy. Finally, Adam was able to fairly easily row the weekender. Downside is the depth of the keel and possible leeward drift.
Scott I am not talking about a existing design I am talking about something new just for this race. 17' or so long flat bottom light weight lee boards or dagger boards etc. the most important thing is light weight flat bottom you can row enough stability to sail light weight mast that can be put up and down easy. You are a half fast designer put the old pen to it maybe mike Stevenson could help with some input or some of the other guys or gals. Put your head to it folks, just think we a doing this for a good cause. We are sending Scott to the land of snakes aligators and skeeters big enough to stand flat footed and make love to a turkey. What could be a better cause than this? Love Bud. :wink:
Bud, I thought you would be going with me?!? Not quite sure how we could fit the smoker on the boat but... Big Grin

There are several flat-bottom designs out there already that would fit. Mickalak (http://www.duckworksbbs.com/plans/jim/michalak.htm) has designed several flat-bottomed boats that would suit including the AF3 which at 16' might be a bit small but easy to row. I also have plans for his Normsboat which is significantly bigger though only 2' longer [Image: normsa.jpg]. Mat Layden enters every year with a flat bottomed boat of his own design (http://home.triad.rr.com/lcruise/plans1.htm)

A light boat with flat bottom would be perfect except for when you hit chop with little to no wind to power you through. According to my conversations with Duckworks Chuck (who has gone two years now) you do encounter these conditions both when sailing in unprotected water (1st leg) and when in protected bays. Then you would want a V bottom at least at the entry to slice through the chop and cushion the ride. That is one reason the Core Sound did so well. Of course, V bottom complicates the build, beach launch, and makes the boat heavier (to an extent).

Now, just to be contradictory, I kinda like the idea of a beamier boat that can stand up to the wind better. I just find they are more comfortable to sail for a long time (like the PC) because you don't have to shift position at every change in the breeze. This would be fine up until the wind died and you had to row... Anyway, another design that I have eyeballed is Mickalak's Fat Cat which is a multichine beamy boat with a little lower beam to length ratio than the PC. With the right set of oars she might move fairly well.

[Image: fatcat2.jpg]

I am not a Mickalak devotee but he has a lot of designs that are low-displacement.
Scott
Come by and sail my Tech dinghy, if you think it will work for you take it, make some modifications for sleeping on and sail away in it. It's fast, stable and it has a swing keel. You may want to make a kickup rudder for it though and some good oars will have her moving nicely. I've had her out in 25-30 mph winds and she screams without getting too wet. It's another option for you to keep in mind while your thinking about all this.

Keith
Keith, I wanta sail with someone else along. Now, if we took your tech dingy and my C12 and sailed in company... I think that would be doable!
I wish I could afford the time to do it, most of my vacation time is used up on messabouts and hopefully the beer next year. I'll have to wait for your stories of the EC around the campfire. The boat is yours to use if you think it will work for you though.

Keith
Pages: 1 2