BYYB Forums

Full Version: 2006 Alaskan Fleet's Mess-about
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The Alaskan Fleet gathered at Big Lake this last weekend. For myself, this was one of the most enjoyable times of my life.

Four families attended, six boats, and many on lookers who just couldn't help dropping by. We sailed for two days, had a great picnic and best of all we helped each other load up at the end of the gathering. A real show of camaraderie, heck even strangers were coming up and wanting to help. In fact, a special thanks to good men that came out of no where at the right time.

I’ll post more later, I’m so tired, I can barely keep my eyes open.

[Image: normal_Wolf_and_Pup.JPG]
That's a good turnout! I glad you enjoyed yourself up there. I must also say that the messabouts we have held are some of the best times I can remember as well. There's nothing I'd rather be doing than sailing talking boats with the folks I've met here. It's a great group of people from all walks of life who share a common passion for sailing and building. I consider myself very fortunate to be a part of this place. Keep the sails up and make plans for your next gathering before the water gets hard again. Be sure to stop by and sail with another member if you get down to the lower 48

Keith
Mark and Doreen Gudshinsky, came down from Fairbanks. They are the sole remaining members of the Fairbanks Fleet. John Metzner having moved to the east, was a blow to our ranks.

With Jeromy from Anchorage and his Weekender Melena, we decided to broaden our fleet to state wide :wink:

The Alaskan Fleet had our first gathering at Big Lake, Alaska. Mark and Doreen contributed the T-SHIRTS 8) Which to my surprise read "Mike's Messabout 2006", with a cool gaff sailing rig on the front. Plus a cake with the same.

I brought some buffalo, beef, hot dogs and chicken. Also on board was salad, shrimp, pops and water mellon. A really good feed. Well maybe a beer or two :roll:

Naturally, my camera batteries died and I have very few pictures of the first day. But as they get sent to me I'll post them in an album on my web sight.

Now to make this a more interesting post, I'll go ahead and admit to a slight error. I got lazy, and left my sails up after launching and beaching the Aurorawolf. Generally, when my big girl hits the beach she stays, after I run the keel up on the shore under full sail.

As the day passed, more and more power boaters and jet skiers, packed into what I have now dubbed, JETS SKIERS HELL!", not North Shore Park.

Well this outing was intended to be a peaceful one and I managed to keep my peace. Mostly. I think my tongue may have wagged a couple of times.

However, the Wolf has her own ideas about peaceful negotiations. :roll: A very un-aware jet skier came powering in with one heck of a wake, in a No Wake zone of course. The result being the Aurorawolf decided she had enough, some of you may remember her dock bashing exploits of the past, she is not a battleship to mess with.

The Aurorawolf lifted her bow off the shore, caught the wind and sailed off the leeward shore in a broach. Neatly, shoving jet skies, power boats and their occupants aside with her extended bowsprit, then came about and sailed off across the lake on her own. Confusedhock: After passing grill duty off to my wife, Joan, I ran down to the beach to watch the fun. :twisted:

The rider of the jet ski that caused all the commotion, went out to retrieve my sailboat, and I have to give him credit for being a man about his error.

Uhmmm, well, me too. I used the anchor on shore and drove the flukes in deep. Lesson learned, lower the dang peak halyard at least :lol:

Oh yeah, I did notice that the power boaters tended to not crowd so close after that one. :roll:

Mark and his Weekender, Flyer.

[Image: normal_Flyer.JPG]
I love it Mike!! He got what he deserved. Too bad it was not kabobed with the sprit. Glad to hear you all had a fun weekend. I am here at work resting up. :lol:

James Sanders

Hi Mike,

Good to hear from you, and glad to know about the northern fleet. Sounds like you folks had a great time. Say, isn't that young Alexander's boat next to yours?
Yes, it is Jim.

He loned the Swimmer to me, later that evening, to row out to my boat. The jet skiers and power boaters were thicker than the Mosquitos, there was no room on shore to land.

:lol: However, the advantage of our boats is we can camp out in the middle of the lake.

I was very impressed with how easy the Amphora is to row, like skating on ice, it takes very little effort.