BYYB Forums

Full Version: Confidence shaken, confidence returned.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well, where to begin. about two years ago, our fine craft hit the water for the first time, rigged as a schooner, with enough line to keep any crew busy, and then some. The day was warm with a good strong breeze whistling through the rigging of docked vessels nearby. Undaunted, my wife and I boarded the still unfinished vessel that had floated nicely off the trailer, and proceeded to get things ready for this first venture.

I first lowered the rudder, then raised the foresail, as yet with no reef points. Noting terrible handling, I raised the Jib. Handling at the helm didn't improve. Finally, figuring I needed all three sails up to balance, I raised the main and still no handling. Alright, something must be wrong, says I, so I glance over the transom, and found that the rudder had returned to the raised position. I lowered it once more and tied her off more securely.

This time, we nosed off the wind slightly, the flapping of sails immediately halted as they filled with a loud snap, launching us forward as if fired from a canon. This wild ride lasted very briefly, as several things happened at once. A gust of wind hit us full on, shrouds were placed by me in such a way as to prevent spilling of wind, reef points would have been a fantastic idea prior to heading out, 185 sq ft of sail is indeed too much for a weekender with a novice crew, and the discovery that the water is warm, and luckily, quite shallow where the boat came to rest on her side.

The capsize was virtually instantaneous, and while I handled it quite well, my wife was less enthusiasatic, and with good cause. Since she is Blind, Dawn had no idea of where to grab, what to hold on to, or what was snaking around her legs as she frantically scrambled to remain with the boat. By the way, as Dawn is a petite 4'-8" woman, and no weight to speak of, her reaching for the high side of the boat at the beamiest point was interesting for her indeed.

Needless to say, the unexpected bath sufficiently shook her. Worse yet, we ran into issues that prevented the re-launch of our weekender for the remainder of the year, giving those fears time to set in. Last year, we went out a few times, though Dawn was still to scared to allow me to raise sail at all, even as a stock gaff rigged sloop. We motored around the local lake under electric power, and when she was ashore I tested the sail plan to ensure that all worked well.

Eventually, the trip to Pymatuning in 2005 was due, and off we went. Dawn was brave, and let me raise sail all weekend long, but it didn't matter, for the wind was doing its absolute best to ensure that she didn't get nervous. Not the faintest of breezes touched our sails as they hung limply from the rigging. Two days of floating in the water without any movement except that of the electric motor, and we returned the boat to the trailer for the return trip home. The trip back is considered a miracle by those involved, as we were fortunate to return home at all that night. The trailer lost seals and bearings on both sides and severely scored the spindles and hubs, and only by the kindness of a CABBS member in the area were we able to limp the boat home after a parts transplant.

The trailer damage ended the 2005 season, and the boat remained dry for one whole year. Finally, the trailer was repaired, and the boat was much closer to completion, lacking only trim pieces and a few odds and ends. This time, we headed to Pymatuning once again, and a lack of wind was not the issue we faced. We arrived on Sunday afternoon to a stiff breeze, set up camp, and opted to delay the launch of our boat. Monday the rain poured down and the wind blew strong and fierce, and yet again the boat remained on the trailer. Tuesday was dry, but the wind continued to blow. Under the advice of friends and family, I launched the boat, and under motor carefully guided her into a protected cove to wait out the blow, with my son and daughter aboard. Dawn decided to forego that voyage. It was a rough ride with waves crashing, bow pounding and a young crew that had mutiny on the mind thinking that their captain had lost what little wits he posessed. We did make it to shore safely, and had the bow tied to shore, and the stern anchored off well. I then covered the boat with a boom tent of sorts in order to forego the bailing that looked to be soon necessary as the skies turned grey yet again.

There the poor boat remained with only Jim's Vacationer for company as the wind continued to blow and the rain returned on Wednesday. Finally, there was a break in the weather and the Dawn Princess seemed eager to show her true nature as a sailing craft. Dawn felt that she didn't feel well enough to accompany us on this voyage, so Devon remained behind to keep her company as Bridget and I raised sail, and motored out of the cove with two reefs in, for I didn't care to face the wrath of Dawn if her angel was to get an unscheduled bath in the middle of the lake. The boat sailed well, and Bridget had a grand time. We raced against her Grandfather who had joined us for this trip with a hobie kayak, complete with mirage drive and a sail. Under sail, even reefed we had him bested, but we couldn't compete with the power of the mirage drive. After heading back to shore, Bridget told of our adventures and her mother took heart. The rain closed back in, and the boat remained tied off until Thursday.

Thursday arrived with more clouds, but we were able to head out once again. This time, Dawn was eager to join us, and Devon proved that he still had concerns based on the first launch results. He and his sister remained ashore with Jim's Daughter, Megan, and had a grand time. Dawn insisted that we remain reefed. After motoring out, Dawn worked the Jib sheets, while I held the mainsheet and the tiller. The boat continued to handle well, though we were under powered for the day's sailing.

Friday, we finally managed to get a full compliment of crew aboard and dispite grey clouds, managed another good 2 hour sail. We remained reefed once again, and this was not really necessary. We had plenty of movable ballast now, and the winds were fairly calm and predictable, but under this reduced sail, Dawn's confidence grew and she had fun, as did the children.

By Saturday, the reefs came out, as there was little wind to speak of, and Dawn had gotten used to the Dawn Princess and her manerisms. The wind eventually picked up a bit, and we got in some good sailing with Jims' Vacationer, Stephens' Weekender, Scotts' boat of his own design, a few Mirror dinghys, and Jeffs boat. I'm not sure what design his was, but she sailed well indeed. The longer we remained out, the more I was able to get away with, and Dawn eventually allowed the boat to be heeled over more and more until she finally said, that's enough somewhere around 20 degrees. 30 was reached at some point, but I didn't notice. This was about a 4 hour outing.

Later that evening, we returned to the water for a sunset cruise ending in near darkness. The kids thoroughly enjoyed themselves as the bats were out, feeding on insects over the water. Scott was out, as was one of his friends Jeff. It was very peaceful, and though cooler, quite pleasant for everyone.

Sunday was a rush to get everything packed away, people fed, and vehicles loaded down so that we could sail once again. The wind was up, and it was a perfect day to sail. We added our tent and sleeping bags to the cabin along with things that wouldn't fit in the truck, so we were a bit more heavily laden, and we had a good 40-50 lbs of water in the porta-potty for ballast in addition to crew, so we appeared a little more stable. Dawn surprisingly didn't insist on a reef considering that the wind was blowing well. We criss-crossed the lake, learned that racing buoy's leave paint when you grace them when rounding the mark a little too closely, and all in all, flew across the water. No nerves, no panic, no concern for our well being. Dawn's confidence had returned, and she truly loved the experience of being aboard our sailboat. The only unkind words she spoke of that last voyage as that a following sea is unnerving as the boat yaws, pitches, and rolls all at once. I suppose that with your eyes closed, that must be an unsettling experience indeed. The week on the water had us just above half power on the battery, and no need for the charger, no damage to the boat beyond scrathes from being beached repeatedly, and the winch rubber's mark on the stem.

Finally, a good shakedown cruise, with smiles on everyone's faces, and a broad array of weather for us to experience. Perhaps next time, a few less days of rain, please?

Thanks to all who got us to that point, the remnants of the Erie Fleet, being Jim, Scott, & Steve, who helped to complete the boat along with various local friends and family. To Jim's CABBS group for hosting the week long event, his members for being there when a fellow boat builder was in distress, to the BYYB for bringing us all together, and to Dawn, for giving the Dawn Princess another shot at pleasing her name sake.
Thanks for sharing your story with us Stuart. It sounds like you had a fine time out there once the rain let up. Hopefully you will get out there and sail again soon with your family.

Keith
Stuart, I am really glad that Dawn, Bridget, Devon and you had some fun times finally aboard your weekender! Big Grin You put too much work into that boat to let it sit on the trailer and I hope you get out several more times this summer. BTW, don't get rid of the schooner rig setup. Once you get used to handling the boat you might want to experiment again especially on a summer day with light breeze.
Scott, I'm just glad you could make it up. Too bad you weren't down long enough to hitch a ride. As it was, your little boat was a hit. She sailed well and kept pace easily with us (and then some).

I've already dumped the schooner option. The aft mast box is filled, the aft chainplates are cut flush with the rub rail (couldn't get to the through bolts with the seatbacks installed), and as much fun as it would be to have a schooner, all that extra line really ate into the setup time anyway. The extra line hanging around in the cockpit sure didn't help the clutter factor either.

Who knows, I may yet build a light schooner or single-hand schooner one of these days, and these designs are intentional, and far better suited to the rig. The weekender is far happier being a sloop, she danced across the lake, just happy to be what she's meant to be.

Unfortunately, for now my boating days are on hold. The car died. It's lost the speedo, the transmission started shifting terribly, and the check engine light is on solid. She's not moving until I'm back to work, so I can pay for the fix, and as it's my only tow vehicle, I'm stuck once again. Go figure, seems to be my annual event, one good trip and a huge hic-up. I'm still trying to browse the warranty info and find out what's covered and what isn't on the car. Who knows, it may all be, since it's a lease. I'll know better in the next couple of days.

Ah well, it gives me the time to paint the areas on the topside that didn't quite cure well enough to last the entire trip ... primarily the cockpit floor, and take care of a few additional items on the to-do list.

Thanks for the kind words though, it's appreciated.