BYYB Forums

Full Version: It WORKS!!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Spent several hours over the last couple of weeks reworking and replacing stuff since the "shake-apart" cruise at Yuba. Replaced the shouds with 3/16" stainless cable, RIPPED the steering out and added a tiller, and got the electric motor hooked up and working.

Launced the Pearl on the local lake here, and IT WAS AWESOME!!!(while the wind lasted). Pictures will follow. The tiller is so much more responsive and easier to keep on course. Seem to spend more time talking to people about the boat than actually sailing it Tongue Tongue Tongue (Phil Gowans Aloha Syndrome)

I now have some light troubles with the trailer, though.... Cry Hopefully just a bulb.
i was immediately jealous ! and ran out today – and bought a whole spool of 3/16 ss cable! Tell us everything! how she sailed! all the details!

the tiller is nice 8) 8) 8)

i appreciate the wheel but there i was sailing where i wanted to go with the tiller, eh (happy canada day)....

piXTURes!!!

a.
Didn't get as many pics as I would have liked, but I left my camera home. My brother sent these.

[Image: normal_Will_it_hold.JPG]

[Image: normal_holding_fine.JPG]

I will get a shot of the tiller tomorrow when I take the Pearl out on the Great Salt Lake (Sportin' a new SWF Shirt)
Brit, i am glad to see her back in one piece and back out on the water. i am hoping that all of my refits will be sucessful as well. i spent the better portion of today fixing all of my issues (at least the ones i knew about). got the gaff remade, added some cleats and fairleads so that i can run the ropes from where i need to sit and moved the oar locks to the outer rubrail.

the stripper will be going out for some sea trials tomorow at willow springs lake. i will be going solo in case something should go wrong there is no one there to laugh at me, but if it works then she will be back out there thursday with my inlaws and wife.

no picutres until i get back home on saturday Sad
LOG: GSL Launch:

Mission scrubbed due to weather. 60 mph + winds, 1.25" rainfall in 15 minutes. Tried to sit out the storm for 2 hours, this storm was stronger than my will. Put down the mast and acted like we were going home, to try and fool the storm, but it didn't work. Luckily, we were then ready to go anyway :wink:

Note: need some sort of hold-down mechanism for the cabin hatch. The wind REALLY wanted to take my hatch with it, wherever it was going Tongue May just a couple of eye screws with a lace through them....Also, some sort of bailing device, like a sponge or bucket er sumthin'

Bill,

Good luck on the launch tomorrow. You might consider some sort of mast-catching mechanism to keep you from tipping over again. Kinda like training wheels Tongue Tongue Tongue
i'm sorry you didn't get to sail - i waited out a storm with my dad today and did get some sailing in ---- of course we got off the lake around 3 pm and more storms rolled in

i just posted in the sailing stories section but here is the link

http://adlacearl.com/morg_dad.html

...my keel has decided to move to another time zone ---- WATER is wicked...i have some repairs ahead of me -- think the bottom is going to get a 2 part epoxy paint when i am done.

a.
The forward edge of my keel has moved somewhat. I forced some epoxy in the very small crack and clamped it down hard. I put in about five screws to hold it together, and put PC-7 epoxy putty over the screw holes. I think I will be replacing the keel over the winter with a laminated mahogany keel, maybe figure out a centerboard idea that doesn't intrude into the cabin.

Saturday's coming, another chance to get out on the BIG lake.

Glad to hear you got out with your dad. Sounds like you had a real good time.
you are more ambitious than me Brit - my keel crack could be my fault -- the kevlar on the chines was a good idea but it may be part of the problem on the keel....my plan is to get through finals this week (oh yeah i am in school) and then take Morgaine off the trailer and flip her. HUGE ordeal but i want to fix this right. While i have her off the trailer i will be working on a channel for the keel to make loading and unloading easier...and I will extend the tongue of the trailer 2 feet and put a locking hitch on it.

while i have her flipped - i will make a new mast (it is on the list anyways) she will be a new boat (AGAIN) ...oh the joy of wooden boats....

watch that crack you had --- this started small too and i did the same thing- stuff epoxy in it....but water has a will of its own. AND i think there is something to be said about how dry the climate is out here.

a.
i had 3X out today, it worked great... still need to raise one pulley, and i lost two of the three nuts holding the rudder together.

i had no wind, then i had to much wind. she is a tippy little thing. one inch to either side and you feel like you are going to bury the rail, and it happens FAST.

i think i need a bigger boat. i am thinking one about 16' long with a 4 1/2' beam... oh yea, i have plans for one just like that... the pocket cruiser :lol:

now to get the minister of finance to agree to let me build it. :wink:
The Stripper 3x works as well... here are some shots of me SAILING her on Willow Springs Lake, AZ

[Image: normal_7-7_045.jpg]

[Image: normal_7-7_048%7E0.jpg]

[Image: normal_7-7_039.jpg]

[Image: normal_7-7_044.jpg]

i only have a few more modifications to make and it will all be Good
Pages: 1 2