BYYB Forums

Full Version: Name game
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I thought I might try to get a hot topic going here by asking why and what you named your boat for. We have all probably thought of different names through the building process, what made you decide to ultimatly christen your boat with the name painted on her stern?

Mine is the Whippoorwill. I chose this name for my daughter Becca Lynn. One night when she was very young she heard the whippoorwill singing it's nightly song and she decided it was calling her name Bec-ca-Lynn-Bec-ca-Lynn. I then wrote her a song about it and I would sing it to her at bedtime

I went outside one hot July eavning
and sat on a stump in the yard
I looked above and what did I see there
The planets the moon and the stars
So I sat connecting the dots in the sky
Those twinkeling stars up above
A night bird came down and sat there beside me
and told me of forthcomming love
Becca Lynn the whippoorwill sang
An owl in the tree he said Who?
Becca Lynn the whippoorwill sang
A little girls comming to you

She liked that song

Keith
I have no little girls, but I am not stupid. Saralee is my wife's name. Clever huh? 8)
Quote:"Now then, Pooh," said Christopher Robin, "where's your boat?"
"I ought to say," explained Pooh as they walked down to the shore of the island, "that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends."
"Depends on what?"
"On whether I'm on top of it or underneath it."
"Oh! Well, where is it?"
"There!" said Pooh, pointing proudly to The Floating Bear.
[Image: poohrain.gif]
The majority of boats are named after their owner's mothers, daughters, wives, girlfriends and high school sweethearts. Many find this type of flattery the only way to get them aboard for a slow, often wet, blustery ride, that may include working a sheet or winch, heaven forbid possibly breaking a nail.
i was going to name mine stripper, because that is what i have been calling it all along, but swmbo said no, so instead i named mine 3x, it hast he same meaning as stripper, and everything on her took me three times to get right.
My Stevenson Project boat is somewhat self explainatory..... I told my pals I was going to build a boat... they laughed, toasted me and said FAT CHANCE! and so it goes....

My big boat was already named, she is a 1963 (the same year as me). I made a committment not to change her name so she remains Wind-Rose.

My little power boat is a SCOUT at running the creeks, so she remains Scout.

My little dink has a ton of patches on her, so she is called PATCH.

Haven't named my Pearson dinghy yet, however since she was sold as an option to Wind-rose, I am thinking of something like Rose-bud....

My other couple boats are really Randy's......... I call them MAINTENANCE!

The inflatable we call HOPE... as in hope it floats
My PC I named SuitsUs when I was bobbing in the wake of 50' powerboats on Lake George. My C12 I named little gem because the outside of the boat was black (graphite epoxy) and the inside was cream color just like a little gem donut. My wife shot down Black and Tan. I haven't yet named my MacGregor so am looking for suggestions. Joe Horvath came up with two good name possibliites for my 12' purple dory of my own design. One was Plum Crazy and the other was Grapevine...which one do you like better?
The watermen don't name boats after wives or girlfriends.... moms yes, daughters yes. Your mom will always be your mom and your daughter will always be your daughter. Wives and girlfriends are a different matter :lol:

Hey Paul, you ol sexiest ass.... I just broke a nail. :lol:

Steven Hunt

I changed my Skipjack's name a couple years ago from Patriot to Miss B, after I discovered that a sloop named Patriot sank with all hands off the Outer Banks of North Carolina in the late 1800's. Since my original plan was to christen my boat while vacationing on the Outer Banks... well, you get the picture.

Miss B is the nickname I gave my wife after we started dating. She did most of the painting and varnishing on the Skipjack.

Hey Scott!

I have a recomendation for a name for your Mac... how about "Suit's Us Better"

rolandblais

I named mine the "Maiden Nevada".

'Cause I'm a punny guy.

Peace,
Roland
Pages: 1 2