BYYB Forums

Full Version: design experiment...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Brian R Walters

OK, here's the scoop. I need to build what is basically a tabletop about 5 1/2 feet square. It will be supported around its outer edge only, and I need to keep the weight down. I would like to use a foam core, edged with red cedar and epoxy the whole works. I am curious what the thoughts are on different cloth configurations and weights. The whole thing can't be more than 2" thick, so I'm thinking of using unidirectional cloth at right angles to limit deflection in the middle of the panel unless anyone can suggest a better alternative. As always, all advice is appreciated.
One experiment that I've always wanted to try is to use the same techniques that are used in pre-stressed concrete construction with fiberglass. With concrete, you have steel rods under tension then pour. When the pour is complete and cured, you release the steel rods and the resulting tension makes the panel rigid.

Theoretically this should result in a very light rigid panel.

I don't believe anyone has every tried this before.

Brian R Walters

Hmmm.... not a bad idea. Use stainless redi-rod with washers and nuts recessed into the edging. Once it's cured, remove the nuts and buck off the excess rod. Food for thought - thanks.