BYYB Forums

Full Version: Boat Covers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm got to come up with a better boat cover than my tarp. I seem to remember some used a car cover but I don't remember what size, what kind of car it is used to cover. Anybody out there remember? Maybe Barry?
One solution I like is to use 10-20' lengths of 1/2"pvc (depending on where and how you are going to attach it). Simply bend them and attach them to either side of the boat or trailer. Then connect them all at the peak with some sort or ridgebeam. Once you have the main frame work setup you can use a tarp. The structure forms a nice arch over the boat allowing everything run off of it, keeping the boat nice and dry on the inside. This is also a very light weght solution that can be removed easily.

I think Duckworks actually sells a kit similair to what I have explained.

Randy-Bick

Hello Steve, there is a couple of places in salt lake that make custom boat covers. I don't know what that might cost but I have seen their work and it seems it would be a good investment with a boat as fine as yours is. Randy Smile
Couple posters had used a Ford Taurus cover. It was a whole lot baggy at the bow but fit over the cabin and rear cockpit nicely. Wouldn't take much to modify the front of it to fit a Weekender.

There is a good article on making tarp covers on the Bosun' Supply website under the knowledge link. I'll find it and post the link for you.

http://www.bosunsupplies.com/Cover.cfm

It doesn't take a lot of effort to make one of Sunbrella fabric with shock cords run below the boat to keep it snug.
I've been making up covers for many years and have it down to an art now. Get as heavy a tarp as you can, 9 mil or better, they last longer. The silver ones seem to be the heaviest, but check the mil.

I just drape them over the boat. Most sailboats have the mast stowed with a crotch, which makes a fine ridge pole. I don't bother with hoops. Once the tarp is draped, I walk around it and mark six inches below the rub rail with a Sharpie, going right over folds and creases. At the corners of the transom I make a "dart" which is a planed fold that will get stitched closed. These darts look like triangular flaps, which remove excess fabric. I usually just spring clamp these closed to keep them located, but I do also mark these with the Sharpie. The bow will need some of these darts too as the boat gets narrower there. Then I stand back and look at the obvious spots there will be chaff, like the corners of the cabin, hatches or other things pushing at the tarp. I mark these areas with the Sharpie. Then I remove the tarp.

Guys, wait until she is sure to spend a number of hours at the mall (trust me) and drag out her Singer and sew the darts closed. The part that marked the rub rail gets cut away and a hem is formed, by folding the tarp back over on itself and sewing along the Sharpie line. It don't have to be pretty, just attached. You can use two sided tape also. From the scraps, sew in some reinforcement at the chaff areas. Quick, put the Singer back before she catches you and finish up, by cutting the excess material away from the darts and hem. You now have a form fitting, if a bit loosely, cover. Buy some shock cord about twice the length of the boat and feed this into the hem. At the transom tie the ends to a chunk of wood so you don't loose them up inside the hem.

Drape the cover back over the boat, pulling it down over the rub rail. When you have it pretty close to where you want it, go to the end where you have the shock cord hanging onto the broomstick (my usual gadget) or whatever you used to keep the shock cord tied off at the hem ends, and pull. The hem will gather up and tighten around the rub rail, forming a pretty nice seal. Tie the shock cord off and adjust the fit.

To make it last, there are products that you can get from the RV shops in your area, that are used to protect SunBrella and other awning materials from UV. It's usually a spray on stuff like window cleaner, but it will make the tarp last a lot longer and shed water like a frog's butt.

What kills tarps is UV and flapping in the wind. The shock cord hem and close fit to the tarp will keep flapping down and the UV spray from the RV store will help keep the sun from rotting it out.

These aren't over the road covers, but will work very well for little money and effort. A good cover, from a pro, will cost several hundred, if it goes over the road, even more. SunBrella and similar materials is great stuff, but hard to sew and has to be done on a commercial machine (this is how she got her new Singer). Thes awning/cover folks deserve their money.