BYYB Forums

Full Version: help with photos
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Randy-Bick

hello everyone, how do you put photos on the site, so they are not so big. :?
Options1:
You can post them in the gallery and Create a link to the thumbnail here in the forums.

Option2:
Using a photo editing program such as Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro, etc. Reduce the image size and then upload it to where ever you plan to store the image and then just link it here on the forums.

Regardless the image needs to be hosted somewhere, either on a website, or in the gallery. Then it's just a matter of resizing and or linking to the thumbnail vs. the fuill sized image.

Hope I made this clear enough. :lol:

Shawne

James Sanders

Ahoy Randy—

"Help with photos," you say. Indeed, I have seen a number of photos on the BYYB board that needed a lot of help. Here at BYYB we do have standards, even though those standards are sometimes rather low, and those who post them lower yet. A bunch of rogues they are— that BYYB bunch.

Here are a couple of suggestions on how to post.

First, let's look at size. An oversized photo will take longer to load, stretch the BYYB board into some odd proportion, and make you, the poster, look ridiculous. Oversize photos are not good. Such photos also show up every defect, and that's not good, either.

"What's a good size?" you ask. Many of us find that a 300 plus pixel range will give you a good rendering. You can, of course, adjust color settings, etc. and even post a larger photo (with less attending memory). But for plain vanilla, 300 width will work just fine, with the photo being big enough to show what you want, and small enough to hide unsightly details and imperfections.

Let's look at how to post, shall we? Shawne has outlined the procedure and options quite well. Essentially, the photo needs to be stored somewhere on the web, and you simply reference it. What I do is store the photo on a personal assigned space on the web, and then simply put in the code so the photo can be seen in a BYYB posting. The code would look something like this—

[img]myphotowebspace[/img]

You'll find the [img] at the top of the posting page along with the tabs for font colour, etc. It's that easy.

One other point, however, is the integration of text with photo. If you add an empty line or two separating text from graphic, both your message and your photo will be enhanced.

Good luck with your photos!
Good luck with your boatbuilding!

I happened to notice your question.
Quote:Why do they call it a boom?

Boom, I suppose, is the sound you hear as the spar hits you full force on your head. On some sailing vessels such as the Friendship Sloop, the boom is appropriately called the widow-maker.

Randy-Bick

hello James and Shawne, thankyou for you fast response. that helps. as far as the boom question, I quess I posted it as a question a passenger on my old hobie once ask me. I always thought it was a funny question. I needed a quote and that popped into my mind. thanks for your reply. I sure can see how it could be a widow maker, being smacked in the head with a light hollow boon hurts enough. Big Grin