BYYB Forums

Full Version: The "REST" of the story.....
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Log Entry #1
Yuba Lake State Park
Sunday, June 18, 2006:

On a pleasant morning sail, Adla decides to call it a day and head for home. Wind immediately kicks up. My steering breaks. Probably due to slack in the line. Wind too strong to limp back to dock. Beached the boat to wait it out.

I apparently did not beach the boat well enough. Randy rights it after wind knocks it down. I tighted the steering shaft while I was sitting in the boat, on the beach, trying to decide how to get it to the dock in the strong winds.

The decision is made to attempt sail back to dock, since wind has died down. Randy opts to hitch a ride.

Steering malfunction reappears. Wind picks up. Having trouble tacking because of steering issue. Grabbing rudder box by hand to steer. Very gusty winds. Made very good progress, though, going across the lake in order to tack back to the ramp. Wind picks up even more.

Shroud #1 breaks loose on port side. Randy quick-fixes it with a loose sheet. Fix holds well.

Shroud #2, also on port side, breaks loose. First repair holds. Mast is not staying straight. No tools on board, no knife. Another quick fix by using the same rope. Laced through both chain plates, and up to each shroud line. Excess left hanging on aft shroud. Fix holds hard, gusty winds well.

Steering continues to hinder our ability to tack, but not completely. One successful tack, and we’re back on course for the ramp.

Shroud #3 comes loose. Not from breaking, but from stretching. I will make it a point to have a talk with the boat manufacturer. This could be grounds for a lawsuit, from someone with a nasty temperament. It seems that the vinyl coated steel cable is not holding up well to the stress placed on it in gusty winds. The vinyl stretches, but the cable does not, allowing it to “inch” itself loose. It appears that the fourth shroud will come…yup, it came loose as well. The decision is made to lower the main, and try to make it in under jib power alone.

Jibbing in is no easy task, even if the steering was working. The boat goes forward, and even windward well, but tacking is extremely difficult. And when you do succeed in tacking, the jib overpowers the rudder, and blows you downwind. Much of this could be managed better if the steering was working. Since we seem to be on course for the ramp,
Randy has a look at the steering, and yes, it is just as I suspected. The line stretched, and “pinches” itself on the shaft, jamming the line. After several minutes of bobbing around in the already choppy water fixing the steering, a friendly power boater races by us at
full speed, probably less than 50 yards from us. The resulting wake bounces us up and down and round and round, and we end up pointed 180 degrees from where we were wanting to go.

I look up at the mast, which is not holding up well, and notice that, yes, the forestay has popped loose. Thanks, Mr. Super-Testosterone power boater. The jib halyard, jib, and quick link are all that is holding the mast up. The decision is made at that point to drop the mast, and flag down a tow. Mr. Ranger has sped by us three times while all this was going on, but seemed more interested in handing out chickensh*t citations than actually “helping” anyone. We flagged down a less-obnoxious powerboat, and he towed us as close to the ramp as he could. While we sat and pondered swimming, a jetskier, with an “out-of-gas” jetski in tow, pulled us right to the dock. Randy kissed the dock, I spit in the water.

Observations and Conclusions:

1) DO NOT USE VINYL-COATED STEEL CABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!! Galvanised 3/16 cable, cable clamps, and swags are recommended.

2) Tillers are far more reliable. The “less moving parts” theory applies well here.

3) Install the electric motor BEFORE you try to limp a boat with a steering issue in. My bad… :oops:

4) Bring ALL the tools you need to fix ANYTHING on your boat out with you. And any you might think you may need. Consider them “multi-tasking ballast”.

And finally:

Even with all these issues, you should have seen the wind and waves we were dealing with. The Weekender, as designed, is extremely well designed. The boat suffered a steering failure and a complete rigging failure, and survived. AND can be fixed for less than $50.00. That is amazing in itself. AND…Randy and myself are both here to tell the story. The stability in rough water was incredible. At no time did I think the integrity of the hull would be lost, and I was not concerned about being swamped, either.

Sorry, no pictures. Don’t know what I was thinking :lol:
FIrst oF all, i am so SOrry i had to leave --- i made it to the church "on time" as it were but barely - i had transmission issues and a engine light detail on the way home NOTHING LIKE THE WIND AND WAVES YOU hAD TO dEAl with ( i wondered how you all would manage in that mess). I am really glad Randy was there to help you. I too think the weekender is a fabulously stable boat...and i did a lot better in the wind than a huge cabin cruiser that kept breaking every rule in the book (trying to hit me) as i docked....funny how the VERY same JERK was parked in front of my camping spot doing whatever windex thing fiberglass boaters do to their boat---and i couldn't get out to retrieve my boat from the dock while it slammed to and fro in the waves. I had to ask him to move...standing there irritated and looking at him with my door open and my BIG dog wasn't enough....*GRIN*

Wind on desert LAkes --- goes like this...light breezes 3 to 4 mph and lots of dead spots.....SUddenly out of NOwHEre WInd picks uP -- gusty is an understatement - white caps ... morons in power boats trying to manuever in the wind....blah blah blah...

I LOVE THE TILLER --- that is all i have to say --- you saw me sailing around going where i wanted today...i didn't miss tacks -- they are so easy now with the tiller and the new jib sheets...i only jibed like twice instead of tacking when i wanted to get somewhere...it is faster to tack if you can get the nose through the wind.

i might have should have mentioned to you that when i did my plastic coated cable that i stripped the part i ferrelled and then used electrical shrink wrap to cover the wire ends. Swagging the plastic is useless.

Also - the better prop that i bought for the electric jib (motor) is a REAL improvemnet. between my new tiller and motor prop -- i was at ease!

your boat looked great and i have nice pictures and video but i am wiped out.....soon.

a.
Brit, that's why they call it a shake down. :lol: At least you are on the water now, it gets easier every time. Good on ya.

Randy-Bick

Even though our voyage to the dock was plagued with every failure one could ever have, short of sinking. we had about 10 min. of healed over perfect sailing! :lol: :lol:. and the boat showed us what she is made of.
I think problems are part of sailing, I know Brit looked disappointed, But you have to admit it was an adventure. look at how much was learned! You have survived a complete rig failure in hard winds. If we had to, I promise we could have fixed the forestay. And pressed on with pride, as they say in the Air force. I look back on all of the stuff that has happed to me over the years, all it has done, has taught me how to handle difficult situations and have more confidence in my sailing abilities, Also what my boat can handle. Building a boat is great, but sailing her makes it all worth it. May you have many more incredible adventures to boast about.
We had a great time this weekend, I hope next time we can spend some time with all of you around the camp fire visitin.
Disappointed, mebe, but it was worth every minute. I need to find time now, politically Big Grin , to fix the boat as soon as I can.
Wow Brit, I had no idea. Glad you were able to save yourselves and get the boat back home. Saturday was just beautiful and I had a fabulous time. I definately concur about using 3/16" cable without the vinyl covering. I've never had a lick of trouble with them. When I did my steering I used a 3/8 nylon braided rope and rigged it up before I put the sides on. It sat there and stretched 6 months while I took up the slack with the turnbuckle every once in awhile. By the time I put the sides on all the stretch was gone. I've never had any steering problems (knock on wood). I'm sure you will work out the bugs Brit. Like Angie says that what a shakedown is all about.
i think the stripper did more shaking than cruising.

it is a tippy little boat, which is kind of unnerving when you are used to the stability of the weekender. but it floats and like Brits, everything can be fixed with minimul investment.

she almost sank twice, the gaff-jaws broke and the oar locks are on the wrong side of the rub rail to make the oars effective.

list of tems to do/change

move lines to center of boat
fix gaff-jaws
clean her up

the trailer worked just fine, and the boat tows just great.

i will be leaving Adlas house to complete my journey back home.

it was a long weekend but well worth it. it was great to meet everyone as well as see so many boats on the water!

thank you to everyone.

Bill

Darick_Anderson

HOLY COW!!!! Confusedhock:
I'm glad it worked out ok. Remove the plastic coating and get two sets of clamps on each shroud line. I was in Japan back in the early eighties with a typhoon getting ready to pound us. we were tying everything down on the base. The Navy Sea Bee who was in charge had us putting cable over all the small out buildings to keep them from blowing away. (stay with me) Big Grin Someone asked why we were putting two clamps on each end of he cable, when one seemed like it would work. He said...The first one forms the attachment loop, the second one keeps the loop frpm pulling thru. I didn't believe him, but I do now. Big Grin

Anyway...We all had a great time, I want to do it again,and again.
I'll get my new sails built and fix a few odds and ends and get Nimbus back out there. You all are one great buch of folks to sail with!!!!!
Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
Saturday was lots of fun. Jean even enjoyed the nice sailing and the great food. Sorry I had to run off so quickly. I didn't get enough time to check out (up close and personal) any of the boats except Bills. While I was there, we were either eating or sailing. Next time we do this I want to get in on the camping. That way I can sit down and really chat. I feel I really missed out there.

I got some good good pictures of boats sailing. I also got some bad ones. I have a new camera that is really smallf (advantage), but I can't see the view screen outside (disadvantage). I should've had some great shots of Randy up on 1 rail coming right at me, but no, the pictures don't show anything but the tip of the pontoon up in the air. I will try to get some of the pictures posted before I leave for the PNW on Thurs. But so far I've not got any of my '06 pictures posted.

Brit & Bill - Isn't it great what a little adventure can teach you and improve your sailing skills.

Brit, I wish I could have been there to see your boat on the water. It's a good thing you had Randy there to help. There are a couple things you should know:

1) the vinyl covering needs to be removed before using clamps. A better way to go is swage a thimble in both ends of your stays. They won't part and you can easily hook them up. Sidsports will let you use their swager on site or rent it to you if you want to take it home. Dave Shearer is quite helpful.

2) You can buy non-streach line for your steering. For the little amount you need it doesn't cost much.

3) On the plans there is a hole you put at the top of the rudder box for a line to use when you need alternate steering. It isn't all that easy to sail that way in strong winds, but it is possible. I've done it once.

4) I like to carry lots of spare tools, parts and equipment (even food and water) when I sail. I put them in a floatable water tight case. When I go overnight, there are a lot of extras to think about. A little emergency (read adventure) can help you sort out what you might want to have available and it does really help you be ready in the future. You will be a better sailor for this experiance.

Adla, tell me where you got your other prop. I keep thinking I need power one but never get around to it.
Adla & Bill, Darick & Phil
Brit and Randy and me,
Decided to spend our weekend
A sailing on the sea.

We met at a central location,
Yuba Lake in Central Utah,
The sun was out, the wind was great,
Most beautiful day you ever saw.

I launch the old Black Falcon
And tied her up to the dock,
Then helped the others get their boats in,
We wern't watching any clock.

So it was Darick, Adla, Bill and I
Seeing what we could do,
Gaining confidence with every tack,
Darick even had a crew. (of two)

Phil came along with Aloha and Jean
They were set up in nothing flat,
Launched and cruising with the rest of us,
What do you think about that?

We were getting sort of hungry
Noon had come and gone,
So we found a place to beach our boats,
Didn't plan to be too long.

I got the charcoal going,
Adla set out all the stuff,
By then everyone showed up,
Holding back was rather tough.

Hamburgers, hot dogs (even whole wheat buns)
Potato salad and more,
Beans, chips with spinach and artichoke dip
Watermelon, food galore!

We were hoping Brit would soon arive,
Randy showed up with his crew,
Bill wanted to wait to launch his boat,
So Brit could be there too.

We talked him into going ahead,
Ol' Bill, he isn't dumb.
He said a few words that someone wrote,
Then splashed it with Captain Morgan's Rum.

So back on the water we headed
Cruising around, having some fun,
Next thing I know Bill's rowing back,
Broke his gaff, he was feeling bummed.

Around 5 o'clock I was getting concerned
Where was Brit and all his kin?
So I beached the Falcon and went searching,
He found me, they had just pulled in.

After the family was settled
He pulled up near the ramp with his boat,
And started to set up Minnie Pearl
With nuts & bolts and yards of rope.