BYYB Forums

Full Version: Boat Fender Knots
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Larry Thomas

I really like the traditional looks of my weekender and I want to try to keep that look when I can. I found places on the net that sell hand tied boat bumpers/fenders, and even classes on how to do so, but no instructions. Does anyone have instructions for tying a fender?

James Sanders

Ahoy Larry,

Knot to worry, Bill Olney can tie anything or anyone in knots. Indeed, he can well fend for himself and has made such fenders.

Another good and likely suspect would be Steve Downs. He, too, is very talented, and most likely could tell us all how to make such a fender.

Kevin Greene, I believe, made some rope fenders awhile back. So, here are three possibilities, and I am sure there must be more.
I found some instructions on the internet but the pictures were bad, I couldn't see what they were trying to show and couldn't follow the written instructions so I just studied it awhile and came up with an easier way to do it and it looks just the same. I don't know if I could explain it or "knot". It would be easier to demonstrate on a video I suppose, of course I have no way of doing that so I'm no help I'm afraid.
Try these - I found them some time ago and the BYYB got permission to host the instructions on my web site on their behalf (maybe we should move them to here?)

http://www.floatingbear.ca/RopeFender.HTM

Some people have had good results with also using a hollow pool noodle as the core - it makes for a bulkier and softer fender. One of these days I need to get to making some of these myself.

Larry Thomas

Thats exactly what I am looking for. Thanks everyone

Larry Thomas

Andrew
I made 2 of them following those directions. The first took about two hours while watching the tube. The 2nd took about an hour outside in open space. I used black foam pipe wrap as the core and on the second one I beveled the edges about 45 degrees and also marked the #1 line with white liquid whipping every 24 inches so it was easy to find. I had plenty line left at the end and made a few grommets.
Now I've really got to sit down and make some.