BYYB Forums

Full Version: Weekender Aft Deck Hatch
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm debating cutting out a hatch in the centre of the aft deck for access to the steering mechanism. It strikes me that getting there from the designed hatch between the seats would require a thinner, younger person then yours truly.

To get around the fact that this is where the mainsheet block would normally go, I figure I can either go to a different sheeting system, or mount the block on the top of the taffrail.

Is it worth-while to make this hatch? How big should it likely be?
I am having many of the same questions you are at the moment. Unfortunately, although in the same country, we are thousands of miles apart. Maybe we can meet at Lake Winnipeg when we are both done. Confusedhock:
I am also thinking of not cutting the standard lazarette hatch, but rather, adding two hatches on either side through the top of the aft deck. These would be the plastic white round screw type. Maybe even the ones that have a little bag inside to hold small things so that I won't knock them overboard (Wallet, keys, etc.)
I just have to ensure that they won't foul my steering.
(I guess that means I have to do the steering before I put on the sides)
I'm not sure why I am so anxious to get the sides on. I think after the 3D step, getting the sides on will be a great milestone.
Plugging away on the west coast,
Steven Goodman.
I put 2 hatches on my vacationer instead of the single hatch in the center. On the Vacationer there is a ply joint on the centerline on the aft deck and I didn't want to weaken this joint with a hatch cut through it. I don't use the space for storing very much so far. It's a big space but it's hard to get to because the steering gets in the way when you try to put anything big back there, also it's not a great place to put a lot of extra weight.

Keith
I'm not too worried about the strength of that joint - my stringers for both the transom and the lazrette front are 2 laminated 2X4s that I shaped to fit.