BYYB Forums

Full Version: Blocks for steering mechanism
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm planning on setting up my steering before putting the sides on which means that I can't attach the blocks required to the rub rails.

Am I correct in assuming that the blocks should be at the same vertical height as the tiller stub and the same distance fore and aft as the centre of the steering shaft?

In my situation it would be easiest to attach the blocks to structure I already have such as the underside of the deck or a bulkhead but I don't want to compromise the mechanism. My alternative is to have a 2X2 mounted to the lazrette and transom at the correct position and attach the blocks to it - or is it?
What ever you put in there to mount the blocks to be sure it is strong. Once you tighten the rope up it will pull hard on the blocks. You might want to add a brace running from the bottom of your deck the the bottom of the boat. It could be added like a frame on a traditional built boat and you could even screw the boatsides to it. Thinking about it now I wish I had done mine that way.

Keith