BYYB Forums

Full Version: Everglades Challenge...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a splinter under my skin and it is called the Everglades Challenge. It is a 300 mile cruise down the coast of florida to:

Quote:to encourage the development of boats, equipment, skills, and human athletic performance for safe and efficient coastal cruising using minimal impact human and wind powered watercraft based on kayaks, canoes, and small sailboats.

To me it represents a fun challenge I really want to do someday and this goal is definitely influencing my next build. With the purchase of the big MacGregor I am thinking of building a sailboat with a cabin for daysailing with the family and overnighting by myself. The challenge has some "filters" that limit boat choice as follows:

1) must be beach launched from high water mark and everything used must go in the boat with you (lightweight).

2) must be able to take some open ocean (for a sailboat).

3) must be very thin water capable for the necessary inland routes.

4) must be able to go under a bridge (easily lowerable mast).

5) must be able to both sail and be manually propelled.

6) must be able to carry 5 days worth of supplies (including water) on board.

Did I mention it is a challenge? Anyway, I am thinking along two lines.

1) The conservative would be to build something long and skinny that could be rowed as well as sailed. I would stick to a simple unballasted flat-bottomed sharpie shape with leeboards, centerboard, or daggerboard for its thin water capability and light weight. Flat bottomed is riskier because of the open ocean portions of the race. Some of Mickalak's designs fit this rather well (http://www.duckworksbbs.com/plans/jim/michalak.htm). I would look for something 16' or longer with a cabin.

2) The other option that really intrigues me is a catamaran design basically similiar to the weekender by Thomas Firth Jones (http://www.jonesboats.com/weekender.html) but with a whole bunch of changes. Instead of assymetrical and slender hulls which dig deep into the water I am thinking more of symetrical vertical sided (or minimal flare) flat-bottomed hulls (Bolger like) that would float in thin water. In order to sleep in the hulls they need to be 2'3" wide (min) leaving 4' for the middle deck. Another option would be to go with some sort of telescoping arm arrangement but the simplicity of the fixed width (8'6") is appealing. For better turning I was thinking of a centrally mounted centerboard or daggerboard (central pivot point) which takes advantage of the shallow draft flat bottomed hull to be more maneuverable than regular cats. Of course, there are no flat-bottomed cats out there but reading the SCA Nov 2004 issue reveals a possible reason: skinny hulls are faster than wider planing hulls in a catamaran. Has anyone heard another reason for their abscence? Another problem is how to move it forward in no wind or contrary wind. One possiblity is a pedal drive (with propeller) that drops down between hulls when needed (advantage of a cat). Another option is paddles (ugh).

The appealing aspect of a cat are:

1) wider stance and more stability.
2) ability to carry more sail (probably gaff or ketch for low CE) for faster speed (I am mainly interested in finishing)
4) as a occasional cruiser or family daysailer a catamaran would be very interesting (space and netting between the hulls).

Anyway, I thought I would throw this out there for discussion if anyone is interested in brainstorming with me.

Robert Espe

Hey Scott,
I've thought a little bit about it too. I was leaning more towards a tandem (I'd never try something like this alone) sea kayak with a sail and lee boards. With that, you would either have to carry a tent, or sleep on board. That wouldn't be so bad if it had lots of surface canvas that could be pulled back.

I'd also though about something along the lines of the bolger light schooner. I would have to study the route in detail, sailboats are "easier" but they can be harder to launch, and the shallow water and bridge needs consideration. Plus, as you noted, a sailboat is hard to row if necessary.

I also have a construction manual for a boat called "wee lassie", it is an open kayak (fast canoe?) designed for one person. It weighs 20 Lbs, and has plains for a sail rig. A two person version with a canvas cover for the open water parts might be ideal.

I would go the route of minimum equipment, I am only 5'5", so sleeping on a boat isn't a challenge Big Grin Plus, then tent space could go for food. I would carry MRE's (Meal Redy to Eat: military designed meals, the food is vacum sealed, not dehydrated, and can be heatead using little one-use heater bags that fills with hot hydrogen gas when you add water.) It is all in one pack, weighs very little, and can be prepared safely underway, no need for dishes. They are also surprisingly tasty.

Water filters are advanced enough now that hand-pumps can even filter out viruses, they have ones that screw onto nalgene bottles. No need to carry water. Those MRE's also have drink powders, so it will eliminate any residual swamp taste from minerals.

It is a major challenge, especially in the Florida everglades. My biggest concerns would be bugs, and tropical parasites. I've been on 5 day camping trips in my native boundary waters, but all we have are giant mosquitos.
A tandem sea Kayak is a definite option. They can carry a load, are slippery and fast through the water, and capable of handling open and/or thin water. If you are able to sleep slouched in a seat and can stay warm then I would say go for it.

However, I like my comfort and would prefer something with a place to stretch out and sleep in relative bug free shelter. A cabin would provide a place where one person could stretch out for a nap while another sails the boat. Also, everything I have read talks about being cold and wet so a relatively dry spot on the boat is important. Not a bad idea to have some sort of portapot as well especially when eating irregular meals consisting of MRE's :lol: .

There are a couple of sailboat designs out there that are lightweight and skinny enough that they can be rowed rather well. The weekender is one of them but the keel would make beach launching and very thin water sailing problematic. I was half contemplating at one time of using a 12' V bottom catboat I have that handles rough water and is capable of taking a lot of stores under a platform suitable for sleeping on. The beamier shape isn't ideal for rowing but she still moves rather well. However, I think I want something with a bit more waterline for speed, more enclosed areas for floatation (and spray) and a more slippery shape for long-distance rowing. One negative to a cabin would be windage.

Interesting challenge, isn't it?
:lol: :lol: :lol: Shawne must be a much younger person than us. I'm with you on this one Scott..... "I'm built for comfort, not for speed". :lol: Sleeping on a camping pad IS "roughing it" these days. 8)

The idea of sleeping on a sailyak in a slumped position reminds me of sleeping on an air bus- in the middle of the row, from Germany with a BIG OL' Siberian man sleepin' and slobbering on me.... Confusedhock: Don't ask me how I know? :lol: Confusedhock:"Hey Pal, parla Inglese?" ARRRGH! :lol: Confusedhock: :lol:
Hi Scott,

I've looked at that event as well, and tossed around a few ideas for last years run. I didn't have the funds to get beyond the dreaming about it point, but as I get closer to a full journeyman, the everglades challenge does look more and more promising as a thing on my to do list.

I was toying around with my macgregor sea kayak plans ... two of those side by side with a catamaran type setup between them for stability in rougher weather, extra storage, etc.?

Of course, you could always have a small raft towed behind you with your goodies if you really felt ambitious. Wink
Problem with using two sea kayaks as the amas of a catamaran is the amount of freeboard. As I understand it you don't want the middle structure contacting the water!

Robert Espe

hmm, I think people misunderstood, I wouldn't sleep sitting up, ouch, that would cause back pain, I would lay down in the bottom of the boat. If the kayak was either or open, or had a canvas top with snaps, so you could roll the top, or half the top back. You could even through and air matress in the bottom.

A sailboat would be more comfortable, you just have to keep it light enough to launch, and heavy enough for the ocean. A catboat might be a good choice.

Otherwise, some people camp on shore, a nice (amazonian sleeping, easy on the back) hammock, with good mosqito netting, and a small tarp, you coud be bug free and dry.