BYYB Forums

Full Version: Rusty Boat!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just lowered my 12' catboat from the ceiling only to find rust inside :x ! How could this happen on a fiberglass clad wooden boat?! Well, it is a combination of doing some metal working over the boat (redoing the gooseneck) and being lazy about cleaning out the boat after a visit to the ocean. All the little metal shavings that I missed turned (dissolved?) into rust putting little freckles on the bottom of the boat that don't want to come out. Not a real structural problem but really makes me feel for those of you who sail on saltwater regularily. Also a good warning for those of you who think you will be sailing only fresh...
Scott put some salt on the spots and then wet down with lemon juice, leave for a while then clean up. The rust stain should be gone.
Regular table salt and lemon juice? I will have to try that! Much better than looking at rust spots or repainting! Thanks Ed!
This is the same reason you never use steel wool on a boat. You'll never get all the little bits picked up and they'll leave tiny curls of rusting steel in every nook and cranny.
Yes, with just a little effort you can find Bronze wool instead of steel wool. It won't leave rust spots. 8)

Steven Hunt

Scott,

Try some good Jose Cuervo along with the salt and and substitute a lime for the lemon juice. It might not clean the rust spots off as well, but It'll make you feel better about it! :wink:
Well, the salt with lemon juice worked just fine. However, I have to agree with Steven, a lot of cuervo would have made those spots dissappear just fine! :lol: