BYYB Forums

Full Version: cabin height
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a question about cabin height. ive seen some builders who built a stock boat say that if they had it to do again they would raise the cabin roof, and after physically checking the measurements i can see why.
I know you raised yours to 40" Keith and seem to be happy with it, i was wondering if i went to 42" if it would affect the boat structurally and or athstetically, or block my view to bad if i sit on the aft deck when i steer.
Also has anyone ever raised there cabin 6" before.i appreciate any help in advance .
Thank You
Brian
Brian I raised the roof line on my PC by 5" but I also raised the seats by 5". I need the extra height because of my lack of mobility.
You can check mine out next week and get a feel for how it works. It's sometimes kinda high for me to see over and I have to pop up now and then to get a good view. It's not bad it the waters I usually sail on but in a busy harbor it would be best to sit or stand higher. I sometimes sit on the lazerett to get a good view but its a pain in the ass after a short time especially in rough water.

Keith
When you're thinking of raising your cabin roof, take into account that you'll need to raise the mast stump, and your clearance for garage doors. I nearly had mine trapped in the garage once I moved it onto the trailer. Had to chop 4" off the mast base ... luckily, I raised that more than the cabin hoping to give more head clearance when tacking and gybing, so it still clears the cabin.

James Sanders

Ahoy Brian—

Yes, indeed a higher cabin will mean less range of immediate vision. There may be other factors as well such a wind resistance.

Even so, we raised our cabin with the apex of the curve extending 48 inches. We trimmed the cabin walls, however, so that the cabin itself would retain a proportional look. Otherwise, the cabin could look a little like a box, or a tugboat. We did not want that.

In our view, the apex is the critical dimension. We now have full head room even while we are sitting on the berth. Indeed, Miss Pat should be able to put her back against the aft bulkhead and read a book while seated on the berth. In fact, even against the forpeak bulkhead there is almost full headroom while seated on the berth.

One other point— we followed the Stevenson plans in cutting the arc of the rafters. This saved us an immense amount of time.

Good luck with your boat!
I added height to my cabin by increasing the arc of the cabin top. Keep in mind, if you increase it a lot you need to increase the height of the cockpit seats so you can see over the cabin.
Ok I just got done measuring my cabin bulkhead out I think I did it right
I want to raise the cabin 4" like Keith did on his so I measured the sides at 40" and the apex of the roof 46" before I cut this out could someone confirm that this is right ?
:?
Thank you for your help in advance
Brian
That's what I did on mine Brian. Call me if you run into a question while your building, I might be able to give you an answer over the phone and you can keep on making sawdust instead of waiting to find an answer here. Good luck with it

Keith
Ok thank you Keith i may be calling within the next couple of days i think what i did is going to work out the only thing im not sure about is the companion way should i raise the companion way up 4" as well?

\___/
^ between here and the floor?

Any help is highly appreciated

Brian
I left it the same as the plans called for. All the modification was done above the original roof line. I left the cabin sides the same angle as the plans and just made them higher. I think I made them several inches higher and cut them down once I got the front panel on. I them marked out where I wanted to cut, using my eye more than my tape measure and cut the cabin sides to the hight that looked right.
Now turn the computer off and get to work, we have places to sail!

Keith