BYYB Forums

Full Version: Just starting out building the 3-in-1 boat
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

ron_kuris

Hi everyone,

I just got my plans last week and I am going to try to build the 3-in-1 stevenson projects boat. I assumed this boat would be good for a first time builder. I seem to be finding a number of errors/inconsistencies in the plans and am wondering if anyone has successfully built this boat and can offer some suggestions as to which numbers to use.

The first problem seems to be the paragraph that says "The keel is lofted on a 12' 1"x8", just like the curve of the plywood panels". However, in diagram 6, on the keel picture, it says "Cut from 10' 1"x8"". There isn't a 10' 1"x8" in the material list so I assume this is the 12' board. Since it also says that you're supposed to "get six stringers from the 1"x8" (cuting as shown) for extras", I am really confused. Since each stringer is 12' long, it seems like it must run the entire length of that single 12' board, and since the stringers are 3/4" wide, and the top of the keel cutout is 6-1/2" from the bottom, that leaves a square of 1"x3/4"x12' of unused wood that is supposed to make six stringers? How is that?

My next problem is the keelbox. Figure 8 shows the dimensions of the forward section of the keelbox as 5-1/2"x12-1/4", but the cutting instructions in figure 6 shows what I think is that piece as: cut 1"x6" stock to 12-3/4". That's 1/2" difference, so which is it? Or is this from some other piece?

Can anyone help with these problems? Is this boat buildable?

James Sanders

Ahoy Ron,

Good to hear from you.
Yes, the boat is quite buildable.
In fact check the 2005 Spring issue of Gaff Rig. There you will find photos and adventure. Howard Anthony tells quite a story or two.

Howard also has a webpage. So, why not Google him and see what you might find?

ron_kuris

Your pointers are encouraging!

I have just finished reading through most of the instructions and that answered both of my questions! It's clear the 12-3/4" number is wrong, assuming the top of the seat box must be level (it is shown to be level in the photo). So, I'm going with the two numbers that agree instead of the single (probably wrong) number. Besides, if one made the cut too long and then assembled it, the error would be obvious and you'd correct it.

And, regarding the extra stringers, what I think they're suggesting is that you end out with six shorter stringers, for use elsewhere on the boat. However, in order to make four 12' long stringers, it looks like you need another board (and there isn't another one 12' long in the materials list).
Howard Anthony built one a few years ago and put up a nice web page about it at http://howard4010.tripod.com/default.htm