BYYB Forums

Full Version: Trailer Woes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am trying to get this @#*#$% trailer out of the way, so I can get to the rigging. The rollers are rotted, and need to be removed. Because of funds (or lack of them), the rollers are to be replaced with 2x6 fir channel. However, the rollers, having been part of the trailer for almost 50 years now, have become affectionately attached, and won't let go.

Does anyone out there have a REAL GOOD rust penetrater, or similar product that may help?
Brit I think Adla has a torch, Bud.
yeah but i am almost five hundred miles away -

Brit - i like PB penatrating spray...you can't miss the stuff in the pepboys or checker etc. The can looks like a comic book ad --- with SuPer peNEtrating!! blah blah blah all over it....sprays out thick and stays in place. Use it - wait 20 minutes and you should be in business or those rollers are meant to stay hehehe - no really the stuff is top notch. Yellow and white can with red lettering.

a.
PB BLaSter...hasn't been much help as of yet, but you are right, it is good stuff. I'm letting it sit overnight. I got a little movement out of it after about an hour of sitting. Wire brushed it down, sprayed it about an hour ago again.... :evil: :evil: :evil:

If I don't get it by tomorrow, I'm cuttin' 'em off!!!!
its the best stuff --- listen it may just get 'er done overnight...its like the race in the bearings kinda thing --- maybe its just giving you grief....let it cook overnight. if all else fails get a good grinder. that will make quick work of those rollers (and a hand held sledge :twisted: )

bust the rigging up - cause YuBa is SOoOoon....!

a.
Use a saw-all (reciprocating saw) with a metal cutting blade. The axles on old rollers are usually galvanized mild steel and cut easily. With care you can save the brackets. I hope you're using the rollers on the keel only. Rollers on the planking is a no no on wooden boats. Bunks are the typical setup for wooden boat trailers, with some rollers along the centerline for the keel, maybe some bilge supports (mini bunks) for larger boats.

PB is good stuff, let it sit over night and then try solid swats with a dead blow hammer. If no dead blow is available then a hefty hand sledge or maul will apply some leverage, though be careful with the heavy hammers, then can bend things up quickly if you're thinking about your mother in law to often during use. Can you pry the caps off the ends of the axle and drive the axle(s) out the other side? Make sure you sopport the boat's weight with a jack so there's no sudden surprises, when the axle lets go.
Well, the PB was no match for 50 years of neglect.....However, the angle grinder made short work of the deal. All of the "supports" for the rollers were bent, I salvaged what I thought could be straightened. For now, I plan on building a 2 x 6 channel for the keel to slide into. The bunks appear to adjust high enough, but we shall see Tongue Tongue Tongue

[Image: normal_Trailer_built.JPG]

Still gotta fix the winch, then put a weekender on it :lol:

James Sanders

Ahoy Brit,

You're well on your way. Soon you'll be singing—

Trailer for sale, or rent
Room to lent, fifty-cents . . .
King of the Road

I can hear it now.
We can do that one at Yuba! Big Grin Trailer's looking different what I saw of it. Looking good. Throw some paint on it will you Brit?