BYYB Forums

Full Version: Thus the work proceeds: Painting the Hull Boat
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

James Sanders

And thus the work proceeds;
the two tackles hoisting and lowering simultaneously;
both whale and windlass heaving, the heavers singing,
the blubber-room gentlemen coiling, the mates scarfing,
the ship straining, and all hands swearing occasionally,
by way of assuaging the general friction. —Herman Melville

Ahoy,

We are where we thought we would have been several weeks ago. Indeed, we had been telling our friends that we would be painting soon, but the soon turned into later, and the later turned into much, much later.

Maybe it wasn't quite that bad, but it has taken us a long time to reach this stage. We finished with our prep work, and covered the transom with cloth to help keep the hot Arizona sun a little respectable—

[Image: paint1.jpg]

Everything seemed to be OK. We had done as much damage was we could with this phase of boat building. Our Riccelli keel looked good. The epoxy cove looked almost respectable. We were on our way—

[Image: paint2.jpg]

High Gloss Paint
After thinking a bit, we decided to go with a good primer, and a good paint. My friend, Steve Avans, suggested an auto variety, and so we went with his suggestion. We taped off the seams and then sprayed the primer—

[Image: paint3.jpg]

From a distance the hull and keel looked good, but we wondered about how the finish might look up close. High gloss, after all, would accentuate every defect, make everything look worse than it was. Now was the time to remove as many of the imperfections as we could. Here is how the keel/hull looked up close, and in the shade—

[Image: paint4.jpg]

Not bad, not bad at all. I stepped back to take a long look at the bottom hull, and the keel once more, just to see how the cove joint might look. Here is what I saw—

[Image: paint5.jpg]

For better or for worse, we were on our way. The primer would have to be covered within 24 hours. So, we sanded the surface, and Steve and his son, Big Steve, began mixing the bronze metalic high gloss. The paint had dryers, hardeners and pigment, and all had to be mixed and activated—

[Image: paint6.jpg]

The temperature was on the rise. In fact, it was well over 100 degrees and making its way to 110 plus. We needed to work quickly, or the high temperatures would simply not allow us to paint. In the next photo, you should be able to make out the keel and bottom hull as Big Steve uses an airless gun to appy the bronze metalic finish—

[Image: paint7.jpg]

How did the work turn out? Rather well, I think. Big Steve did a fantastic job, and the temperature and paint both behaved themselves rather well. The keel and bottom hull now have a copper/bronze look. Hopefully, the copper pigments/dust in the paint will keep the saltwater critters at bay.

Here is a close-of of the paint in bright sunlight. Perhaps, you will be able to make out the metallic pigment.

[Image: paint8.jpg]

Tomorrow, we'll continue our work on the hull, and then focus on the bright work. The rough wood shape will soon be gone, and in its place an object that will resemble a boat. At least, such is our hope. Our side hull will be an off-white with a high gloss once more.

The temperature is supposed to be a little cooler tomorrow, just under 110 degrees. The dark area in the photo is a reflection of shade, not some unsightly imperfection.
Wow Jim, a copper bottom? The surprises just keep coming. Well, let 'em, come! It is nice to hear from you again from time to time or whenever you can post. Good luck in that miserable heat.
I've always tried to have copper looking bottoms on my boats. In the old days, this was the color of good killing stuff and it looks great with a contrasting boot stripe. Automotive paints on trailer boats are a good choice, hard, durable and shinny. It should hold up well in the desert sun. Now, finding copper colored anti fouling paint is difficult, so I've changed my models to enjoy black a little more.

Great job Jim, I hope all those metal flakes don't attract large, boat eating sea monsters. I've caught quite a few fish with a shinny lure, lets pray Shamu's untamed cousin doesn't like shinny as much as you do.
Looking good Jim, glad to see you back to work on her. Seems you have a date on the FL coast in less than a year last I checked. Keep it rolling or better yet spraying.

Keith

James Sanders

Good evening,

Thanks for the nice comments and encouraging words—

Here are a few more progress photos and comments. Today was a good day, but a difficult one as well. The machinery failed; the wind blew, and the bugs wanted a close-up look at the paint. It was hot today as well, and humid. Even so, it was a good day. When I got to Steve's, he had already applied the primer. Here is what everything looked like—

[Image: paint9.jpg]

Everything looked promising. It was going to be easy street, or so we had thought. Then the problems began, the sun beating down hot upon our heads, but our determination remained steadfast. After much work, after much time and much frustration, we were able to apply a finish coat to the hull—

[Image: paint10.jpg]

"I think I'm going to like this, " I said. Suddenly and magically, the crude wood had taken on a dimension of its own, a dimension of sea and wind, of adventure and promise. This was going to be a good day after all. Here's another perspective; this time with the paper removed—

[Image: paint11.jpg]

The hull/stem line looks especially sharp. No jagged edges here. The stem, of course, still needs to be varnished, but that will come later. Here is a favorite photo of mine—

[Image: paint12.jpg]

"What about the stern?" you ask. We removed the tarps and paper; stood back and took another look at the boat that had been a major part of our life for the last three years—

[Image: paint13.jpg]

Not bad for a couple of desert rats like ourselves Here is the last picture, a close-up of the transom. I took the picture while standing under the branches of a nearby tree. You can probably make out one or two of the leaves along the right edge of the photo—

[Image: paint14.jpg]

We still have some touch-up work to do, and, of course, there is the bright work for both stem and stern. Other than that, we are finished, and need to begin work on turning the boat over. It was a good day today, a good day.
Awesome finish! Shows a lot of attention to the "minute" details. I especially like the worn away spots in the grass surrounding the boat. Appears that quite a few "walk arounds" were completed prior to painting Big Grin
Quote:I especially like the worn away spots in the grass surrounding the boat

hehehehe That CrAzy jIm just makin a Piano outta his boAT!!! LOOks lovely! Really nice color scheme ---

are ya ganna be done and come to yuba????

a.
Amazing, simply amazing that after all that fussin' and fumin' and worrin' bout it, it is going to be one fine looking yachet. Just the right kind of showcase for that grand piano and those nice palms in the parlor. 8) :wink:

Magnificent!

Gives me hope that after all this time I might conceivably have a decent looking craft as well. Sorry I can't be there to help flip it right side up. :roll:
Nice Jim! Very nice!!!!
Very salty Barnacle, keep after it.... it is all down hill from here. YAHOO! Big Grin

You are going to have to bring that baby east and show her off at some of the wooden boat show, you'll have 'em drooling all over it.
Pages: 1 2