BYYB Forums

Full Version: I'm cutting it close for repairs once again ...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Geez, never fails, I start a few minor repairs, a quick modification or two, and soon enough I've got three pages of things to do before I can put her back on the trailer.

We've got to be in Jamestown, PA. by June 18th, and my poor boat is still upside down, granted, much prettier than before, with a lighter shade of blue.

The varnish work is going like gangbusters, the new mast is done asside from putting the blocks back on, and I should just about get the budget for putting the new keel guide and new bunks on the trailer for next weekend's re-flip event.

Once that's done, I've still got to attach a number of closures to various openings, clean up the very temporary cabin hatch and paint and non-skid the topsides. All I can say is, it's gonna be close once again.

Of course, I've got to put all the various bits and pieces back on, and re-rig her too, but that's just the icing on the cake. Wink

It's going to be a very long two weeks.
Will you be there for father's day weekend (24th & 25th)? That is the weekend I will be staying at Jamestown. I am in the process of putting compartments in the bow and stern of my cartoppable dory that I will be bringing to Ohio (gotta have a boat).
Hey Scott,

Yeah, we'll be there. We're taking a full week off this time around to make the long drive more worth it. Learned that lesson last year, since we rushed to get there, rushed to get home, had no wind the whole weekend, and blew out the trailer on the way back. This time around, we're taking it nice and easy. Coming down on Sunday morning so I've got saturday to get everything ready to go, and heading back the following Sunday.

Can't wait for it to come, and at the same time, boy do I need another couple of weeks to get everything done. Wink
Hey Stuart I am in the same boat, I have been working away at the Vacationer to get her looking ship shape fpr Pymatuning. Although I have the boat in the up right position.

Has any one heard from Stephen M., is he still planning on showing up?

Hey Scott I am looking forward to seeing your new creation, It has even peaked Joes interest.

I think Hank Vincenti from CABBS will be there with his newly aquired Pea-Pod. It is really sweet and I can't wait to see it under sail.

Tick Tock, those days are slipping by.

[Image: peapod%20and%20the%20guys.jpg]
I am very much looking forward to the trip and showing off my newest creation. I did run into a snag in putting in forward and aft compartments on it. Somehow I didn't mix the epoxy right (I think I pumped a whole batch of hardener) so now I have to take everything apart, scrape off the muck, and start again. I hate it when I do that! The compartments are coming along well though the compound cuts on all of the pieces makes for a tedious build. One other thing, I actually have 7' worth of flat floor in her so the overnighter in me can't resist thinking up ways to pitch a tent over the boat. Probably too tipsy at anchor but, pulled up on shore, she would provide a dry floor.
i feel your pain - i up and decided to unpaint morgaine white --- the glare nearly blinded me this week...and now sailstice is coming up and i am fiddling with paint :roll: hang in there we all must be crazy!
Well, the hull's all painted, the brightwork is varnished, the spars are assembled and minus one block on the boom, all are in place. I'm probably going to need to re-run the shrouds due to correcting my mast shortage, but we'll see, I may be lucky.

The trailer's the current project. I've got the old 4' 2x6's on edge bunks off and am replacing them with 8' 2x6's on the flat. I've had to mash away on the attachment bracket to allow for the new attachment style, but it worked just fine.

I've got the wood ready for the keel guide now, so that's a plus too. That'll wait until tomorrow now though, as I've got just enough light to finish the second bunk's attachment before I'm in the dark.

I'll be running a router over the edges of the bunks and keel guide rounding things up tomorrow to prevent scraped paint, and hopefully get carpet on tomorrow night too. Once that's done, I'm hoping to round up a few buddies to put the boat back on her trailer and get back to the real work. That topside is still very much in need of work. 10 days and counting ... geez.

James Sanders

Hi Stuart!

Good luck on your repairs! Looks as if you're going to be just fine!

What's this good news about your wife? I recently saw a posting. What a blessing! What a blessing indeed!
The problem with repairs at this point is that drying time of epoxy makes painting a bit dodgey at best. Hope you are using bondo on any topside repairs you have, Stuart! I myself will be rolling the dice. I have the forward and aft compartments completed in the rough but still need to sand smooth and cut an opening for the deck plates. I realized recently that the deck plates would have been a lot easier to install before putting the decks on but hindsight is 20/20 (I hate hindsight :x ). I also need to sand down everything smooth then plan on glassing all surfaces. All this means I wil, at most, be letting the epoxy cure for 9 days before painting...well short of 2 weeks Sad . Well, it is only on the end boxes so I can always scrape off the paint if it doesn't take a good hold after pymatuning.
High Scott,

Not to worry, any fixes on the topside are bondo and paint at this point. Unfortunatly, I still have the very rough cabin hatch that stupid me tapered for some unknown reason, so slides are um ... interesting and it is only held down by gravity once under way. Ah, to have both time AND money in abundance. Wink It's always one or the other, and never at the right times for either.

Quite frankly, I'll just be happy to have her floating ... I really need this vacation, and so does the family.
Pages: 1 2