BYYB Forums

Full Version: Lapper Dimensions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Does anyone have lapper dimensions for the weekender? i have enough dacron (i think) to sew one but i don't have the dimensions.....

a.
Quote:Does anyone have lapper dimensions for the weekender? i have enough dacron (i think) to sew one but i don't have the dimensions.....

I think Angie has a lapper for Fat Chance - maybe she can provide measurments. If you want to experiment, you might want to try a couple of different sizes out of tarp first. I would be a bit concerned about exceeding 100% of the fore triangle as there are lots of potential snags on the Weenender mast. Of course if you want to use a clubfoot, it can't go past the mast for obvious reasons.
Admiral Earl, I have a really nice lapper that I had made by a "professional" sail maker--I USE THE TERM LOOSELY! He knew about sails, but could hardly be called a business person, crook would be a more accurate description-- but that is another story. :lol: I'll measure it for you when I get back to the States if someone else does not chime in before then.

I don't fly any of my jibs with a club foot, I can't stand it up there flailing around... I hate to hear a sail chattering. With the lapper I bring the boat thru the wind before I release the sail so the wind will drive the lapper all the way over without giving it a chance to grab anything.

Let me know if you need the measurements and I will be happy to send them to you.
i'm glad you are enjoying yourself in italy - buona sera ---eh...que tempo fa? i am sure it is lovely....i can wait until you get back for measurements. I just got home from the library with Sailmaker's Aprentice...so i will read that and wait to hear from you when you get back...grazie

a.
oh yeah - and i plan on removing the club foot today ---- but when it isn't so hot (it is a million degress here today) ....

i love italy -- and computer access there was easy for me too. the last time i went i had 9 open escrows and literally did all my business from internet cafes....it was dreamy.

a.
Mine is as follows
luff is the same as standard jib,
Leech 141"
Foot 108" with a 6" roach approx 1/3 back of the tack

Capt. Jake's is the same but for the foot. His is 105" I think!

Both of ours have luff wires sewn into them for furling. That is 1/8" 1X19 stainless wire. It is easier to sew in some additional foam stripping when making it up to fill in evenly when furling it.

You might want to just do that initially if you are sewiing it up yourself even if you don't use it initially for furling. I don't have grommets in the luff edge I had screwed on plastic hanks which just leave a small hole when removed. I can replace them at any time should I choose not to use a furling spool.
Buona sera to you Admiral. Did not get to sail Elba but did head up to Napoleon's place. Poor ol Napoleon, exiled to paradise. Did a trip to Roma today.... collosium, forum, fountain, Pantheon, etc... Back in Frienza tonight and headed to Venice and Varona next. It is a cultural marathon. My feet are tired. :lol:

Getting more confident in my Itiliano but still ask parla Ingleza first... usually they say "little bit" and we try it from there.... prego. Having a blast.

Last night I asked for billet (bus ticket) when I meant to ask totale... so still making an ass out of myself... but they seem to appreciate the effort.

I love it as much as you said I would, I do miss my little dog Cricket terribly. Hope she remembers who I am. Confusedhock:

Caio.