BYYB Forums

Full Version: Memorial weekend on the water
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I had a great weekend sailing on Lake Alatoona aboard my Vacationer. I was sailing solo but Scott was close by in his new MacGregor. We had morning breezes followed by hot afternoons anchored in a cove here or there for a cool swim. For any of you who ever questioned what a bowsprit was for I discovered another fuctional use for it. It make a fine looking diving board. Scott has the video.
We launched the boats on Saturday morning and sailed most of the day with an afternoon swim and lunch anchoring. The wind died down and the waves from the powerboats came up. Bobbing like a cork on the water is not a fun thing to do so I motored a while. I found a nice cove to anchor in and we spent the night on the hook, which by the way was set VERY well. I tried to pull it up the next morning and it was not budging. After lots of tugging Scott came over with his boat and we were going to wrap the rode around his winch to try and pull it up. I pulled the slack from the rode to hand to him and the anchor came right up with it. Imagine that! I was just about ready to dive for it in 23 feet of water if the winch didn't bring it up and just out of sheer intimidation of getting winched free caused the anchor to let go of it's grip and come back to the surface!

Sunday Scott had to take his dog back to the house so I sailed as much as I could and motored the rest of the way to explore the lake. Once again the winds died down and the waves came up. I was trying to start my motor when another large boat came speeding past me throwing its wake across the lake. It rolled my boat around and the boom knocked me in the head while I was pulling the start rope. I'm rethinking the carbide cannon after that. I'm going with something that fires cannonballs! We spent most of the afternoon rafted up and swimming after finding an empty cove. It wasn't long before we had 4 other sailboats doing the same. The wind was gone and the sun was hot. We spent Sunday night anchored in another peaceful cove.

Monday I watched the sunrise over the lake and pulled up anchor. I sailed a while then tied up the the dock and sailed aboard Scotts boat for a few hours. Again the winds died and we went back to the marina. I pulled the boat out of the water, and it was one of the easiest retrievals to date. The clear water was a big help being able to see the keel on the rollers and the ramp was deep as well. It was also nice to have someone who knows how to load a boat helping out. Most of the time I'm on my own with someone who can't drive my truck or boat. Scott brought the boat around and I was able to pull her right onto the trailer.
Now I can look forward to sailing again on the Sailstice, see you there

Keith
Hers some pictures of our 3 day cruise [Image: c.jpg]

[Image: b.jpg]

[Image: a.jpg]

Let's see if Scott has some pics to post as well

Keith
It was a really fun weekend and a great way to get acquainted with my new boat. The positives are that the MacGregor sails wonderfully, is roomy enough for the family to sleep on, and the kids had an absolute blast and really love adventuring on the boat. The negatives were the dog (not a boat dog and sheds everywhere, light winds, high temps, and a lot of powerboats.

Keith has shamed me with the speed of his posting of pictures. I will try and get mine up by tomorrow. Be interesting to see how the movie works!
Yahoo.... Kieth, I bought a mount for my kettle to go on Fat Chance. YEEHAA. I gotta keep up with the MeCleans :wink: The other thing I was thinking about was a power inverter to run the blender... what da ya think? I tried one of those 12 volt blenders but it can't really chop ice.

Sounds like you guys had a great weekend, good on ya. How about a few photos, Scott.

Scott, glad to hear you and your family are enjoying the new boat. I am really glad the kids love it. I read stories about young folks out cruising and it is because of parents like you. Good on ya! Smile
I really like my grill Angie, it keeps the cabin cool and the belly full. So what are you planning to blend up on that boat of yours? Benny says pussers makes a fine strawberry daq Sad Have you seen the blenders on the sailstice site? You hook a cordless drill up to it and go to town, hows that for a boatbuilders blender! It might be great for mixing a screwdriver. I also once saw a gas powered blender, it has a weedeater type engine on it. It sounds like something Tim the Toolman would make. You know you could just get a big bucket, fill it up with ice and tequila, maybe some limes, then put the old seagull in there and fire it up! You don't need no stinkin' inverter, when you got a stinkin' seagull. I'll pull the cord you hold the bucket! Watch out now don't spill any

Keith
:lol: "Why does this drink taste like gasoline and motor oil". ARRGH! Stop yer bitchin' and pull that cord, watch yer shirt thar buddy in the flywheel! The second one goes down easier. :wink:
If you will just drink George and water you wan't need a blender,and it is easy to mix. Too much George? add water Too much water? add George. O yea I told Benny not to use that pussers in the dackres. But He is a little thick between the ears anyway. Bud Smile
Wonderful!!! MORE!

a.
i also meant to say that morgaine feels a bit like a cork too unless i have my dog in the cabin ---- she generally lays in the middle with her head near the hatch -- she is like a bit of ballast (nearly 200lbs of dog) ....i know people fear the ballast, but a little somethin' to keep you from bobbin' is nice.

a.

Adam Plourde

Funny. I went on a canoe trip with some folks that had a weedwacker blender. First one I ever saw. I thought it was one of a kind.

Chopped the ice real nice. However, when they fired it up at one in the morning, those of us who had finished our drinking for the day and where in our tents trying to recover from it where not pleased. No muffler on those things you know.
Pages: 1 2