BYYB Forums

Full Version: the strippers' been holed
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
for the daggerboard. talk about scary. cutting a hole in a perfectly good hull just does not seem right, it is all wrong; but must be done. so on with the cutting. i borrowed a jig saw from work and after drilling some one inch holes cut out between them. i got some 5200 for the inside joint of the daggerboard box and will use thickened epoxy to seal the box to the hull. i don't predict any leaks.
[Image: 5-31%20002_jpg.jpg]

you can also see the rub rail being test fit as well as working on templates for the seats at the transom.

John again came through with his expert help in making some masthoops which also work well as pirate ear-rings
[Image: 5-31%20009_jpg.jpg]

the strippers chest is almost overflowing, maybe time to make her a bigger one.

[Image: 5-31%20007_jpg.jpg]

the newest tool to the shop which no one should be without. it has proven to be indespensable.
[Image: 5-31%20005_jpg.jpg]

i guess i didn't reduce the pictures enough, sorry to anyone with a slow internet link :oops:

time is getting near to the 16th, but as things are coming together i feel more confident that i will make it.

i also have put new 12" wheels on the trailer, so i feel much more comfortable towing it long distances now. i tried to find some rims with spinners but they were no where to be found... talk about disappointment. anyone have the number to pimp my ride or trick my truck? maybe they can help me out.

Steven Hunt

Nice earings!

The stripper is looking good too Bill!
Do those mast hoops double as rosary beads? Big Grin Confusedhock: Big Grin
Good looking boat, Bill. Looks like you just might make it after all!

AND

OOoo! Nice Plane!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Steven Hunt

Yes, Bill is very fond of his newest boat building toy.

Aw heck, just give me a 40 grit sanding belt on my belt sander and I'll smoke that little plain in no time. :wink:

FYI, for those of you thinking of going to Bill's boat shop, a warning. His garage is booby trapped. I knocked over a rack full of c clamps that wasn't secured to the wall. My car was almost impaled by The Stripper's new rub rails while Bill and I ran them thru his router table... Confusedhock:
Go Captain Olney! You are on the water!
As long as everyone returned with all their fingers, etc.... all is good. When a gnarly old carpenter was teaching me to cut base, crown, casing etc. on a compound miter saw, his advice was..... "don't wear a necktie and keep your tits out of it" Confusedhock: I have followed his advice.
Looking good Bill, I know what you mean about cutting holes in the bottom of your boat. I had to do the same on mine when I put the transducer in for the depth sounder. It just feels wrong!
That's a nice plane you have there, I have a big collection of them. Last count was somewhere in the 30's. I have one in my collection, a Stanley 85, that I once saw on ebay sell for $800 and mine is in better shape. A really nice plane to have around boatbuilding in a compass plane. You can adjust the bottom of it to bend out or in depending on the curve your wood. Worked great on the cabin of my Vacationer.

Keith
looks good Bill - sorry i couldn't be there with you this weekend! i ended up working and not even leaving town for walker lake Sad sad sad ---

you are ROCkiN' the glass looks good...can't wait for you to have your OWN boat!!!! i will miss you on morgaine but can't wait to see you launch!

a.
It's funny you say that Steven. Several years ago, while the shop was in full swing on a big project, a young fellow said exactly the same thing as I was putting away my freshly sharpened plane. Of course the bet (beer for the winner, as usual) and race was on.

His Porter Cable 3 x 21 to my 70 some year old sweetheart, a 9" Bailey #4. He kicked up a lot of dust on the one end of a thick piece of white oak as I made a few test cuts for depth on the other end. He had several passes up and down this hunk of lumber, before I had a good depth set, but then I got to taking some long strokes and it was all over in minutes. I was able to remove more stock, quicker and keep the lumber flatter, which I easily verified with the edge of the plane as he went looking for a straight edge. I also didn't have to eat as much dust as a coal miner, having nothing but lovely curls of oak about, which easily swept away with a hand. He complained about needing more then the 40 grit he had to keep up, as he handed me my ice cold prize. I reminded him that I was an old man and went easy, as to not completely embarrass him before his equally young friends.

J Stephen Mustico

I love your mast hoops.
Brilliant!!

Is that just Steel cable with a crimp connector underneath?

J. Stephen Mustico
Pages: 1 2