BYYB Forums

Full Version: Crazy feeling
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Sam Morency

It all got started today. Is there any turning back? What have I done? An idea ( 35 years in a state of limbo) was born out today when I found myself drifting on over to Building Supply Center. Those 4x4 fir posts have been there I know for years. Did not know they had my name on them. As I swept the dust off of them I felt like I was forcing myself out of a cocoon. What am I getting myself into here? It became clear that a building cycle has emerged of which gobs of time, money, sweat and mixed emotions will certainly be a part, and that barring a divorce, a stoke or heart attack, financial failure or hurricane I just may end up with a sailboat. As I put those future spars into my shed and shut the door I wondered how many times I will do that very thing before that sailboat comes out of there. To me creating a sailboat and contrasting that with the regular things that take place in my life seems somehow appealing. The project has drawn me through life it seems. The whole sailboat thing is spell binding, I don’t know why. It certainly gives me that crazy feeling, that I get when I take a detour in life.
Sam
yer in first stage crazy -

it gets worse:

[Image: IMGP1065.jpg]

a.
Congradulations Sam Welcome to the madness.
I dont have a good sailing picture to show you for inspiration like Adla
(wish i did) But i will if any of what you have mentioned does not happen to me, good luck with building process hopefully they wont be chasing you with butterfly nets by the time your through. I think there watching me already as everytime ive tried to laminate my keel it rains (grrrrrr!!!)
Which gets me a little crazier each time.
Again congrats post lots of pics.
Brian
Sam, it took me 30 plus years to get going on my boat as well and about 4 months from keel to launch - welcome to the madness.

[Image: normal_Mvc-005s.jpg]
Sam, it sounds like the seed has been germinating a long long time. It is time to grow what you have planted. It is a beautiful ride, enjoy every step along the way. To be honest, once you get to this stage; regardless of divorce, health problems, financial failure or even hurricanes; there will be a sailboat coming out of your shed. We are all excited for you because we can all recognize that feeling. Congratulations, now go make some sawdust. Smile Glad to have you aboard.
Game on!

I went a different approach, I saw a Pocket Cruiser someone was selling one weekend, offered the guy double the amount someone else offered, he declined, I found out where it came from and within a few days I had decided on a Weekender, bought a trailer and had ALL the lumber and much of the hardware delivered within a week. There was no turning back, especially when buying a trailer.

I am half done my Weekender (after starting 4 years ago and putting it on hold for 2 years). I am cruising on it now though.

Word of advice,...think ahead before you cut each thing and take your time on everything...it is much more enjoyable.
Sam, you should consider yourself very lucky to have had (past tense) a reasonably normal life up until now, or at least could have, if you'd acted right. This disease can take quite some time to fester into a bubbling, ooze filled desire to build a boat, but once infected, no penicillin or anti-inflammatory can help. You're screwed along with the rest of us, get used to it.

I was doomed shortly after birth, being born on a boat, raised on an island and surrounded by boats of every shape, convention and configuration, most wooden. When I was about 5, my mother caught me trying to take the power cruiser for a joy ride. It was at the end of the dock, behind the house, I knew how to start it, put it in gear and she jumped 3 or 4 feet from the dock to the side deck, just in time to catch me. I'd never seen my mother do anything quite as physical before or since, I was rightly impressed, though I really only remember the incident, because it's my earliest recollection of a good ass whipping.

Welcome aboard. If you get stumped, ask Adla, she's a pro.
Sam There is no turning back now you have fallen into a nest of crazy people. there is nothing you can do to mess up that has not already been done and someone on the form can tell you how to fix it. My suggestion is read carefully, measure (twice), make saw dust and don't worry about it lumber is a replentishable resorce. O yea get yourself a nice moaning chair. Get ready this will be one of the most enjoyable things you have done in your life. ENJOY We will be looking for your post. Bud. Smile
Welcome Sam, you have chosen well. There are far worse thinks a guy can spend time and money on :lol: :wink:
[Image: normal_SV_Ginny_Rae_126_cropped.jpg]
We,re all hear to offer our .02 cents, when you need it. have building and GREAT SAILING!!! 8) Damm the torpedos, full speed ahead!!!!!!

Greg