BYYB Forums

Full Version: OK Mike, photos it is... :)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Here is a link to some photos of my new Bow Sprit Project. Give it a minute for the photos to load. I had to leave them rather big to preserve the detail. The new sprit will be the same length ar the forst photos show but will be one piece.

http://members.cox.net/~loveylou/index.htm
WAHOO!!! Jetskier Kabobs!!!!

That just looks too cool!

I'm workin' on a removeable dolphin-striker fer the weekender. Figured I needed more bowsprit than I thought at first. Won't have it for the first launch, though.
WOW the boat is looking great Craig, I can't wait to see her in person

Keith
Excellent Craig, thank you.

Now I want to see the foresails up :lol:

My first sail of the season was on Big Lake today, only eight hours, but we had enough fun. :wink:

The jib I barrowed off the Islander 23 is not cut right to use as a foresail on the Vacationer, the clue is too low. I need to cut a sail to fit. We did get up a little speed flying both jibs. However, the wind came up and we went with just the stock jib for the rest of the day.

I do like the new forestay and down haul, they work well. The wide bowsprit with the new side stays was easy to get out on as well.

No leaks, I'm really impressed :roll:

Thanks for the Pictures 8)
Ah yes, sails, now heres the rub. The new sprit just got the first coat of varnish yesterday. The BEER is the end of next week and the SE Messabout is the week after the BEER. The MH is still in the shop waiting for a drivers side step and not yet ready to go to GA. The sails will not be ready until late summer or fall by the looks of my schedule Mike. Somewhere in there I need to do some revenue producing work as well. But thanks for the kind words. I will put up photos whenthe sprit is mounted.
I'll experement some more for the both of us :lol: More blue sails!

Good to hear you have some sailing plans :wink: have fun

I took Oops! out for a little fishing today, I got one strike, the fish did one flop out of the water and was gone. Bigger hook next time :roll:
I got a late start yesterday and got to the yacht club and there was no one at the ramp. I took my time enjoying the day as I unlashed etc and set up the mast. I even remembered to unroll the lines before bending the jib. Thought I'd tighten up the topping lift before I went forward. Funny thing that it never got tight! I pulled a couple more feet and still kind of loose. About the time I realized what I was doing the CRACK came. Split both sides of the mast about 2' up from the pivot and mount bolts. Lines, forestay and THEN topping lift! Follow the checklist stupid. I really need to get out more.

Well, there was to be no sailing today, so I immediately contacted the mfg telling him it was a factory defect. I can't repeat here what he told me while suggesting it was operator error.

After some bad words on both sides he agreed to fix the damage and said he would start as soon as I could get the boat to his shop. By sundown the broken mast was removed, the cracks a breaks saturated with epoxy, and lightly clamped to hold position. By sundown tonight the bolt head covers (easies the passage of the main lashing over the bolts) were epoxied over the break to add reinforcing to the fix. He has promised to roll a barrier coat of epoxy on after rough sanding the fix tomorrow afternoon.

At this rate she can be back on the water by Sunday. Tonight he also put a second coat of varnish on the new sprit I made. I is so nice to work with an outfit that consistently gives the prompt service. They always drop everything to do what I need done. He is a hard case that gives me holy hell at first: however, he always comes through for me in the end. I may get another boat from this guy.
Craig,

Sounds like you've got a pretty decient warrenty on your boat. That's one of the best things about getting a weekender. My builder is usually not too hard to find and he really knows my boat. :roll:

The biggest problem I have with mine is that sometimes I have to wait quite a while before he can get around to my projects and at times he can be kind of a jerk to talk to. Especially if I do something stupid that makes him have to make repairs. :wink:
Boat builers are funny that way Phil. This one really gave me hell for being so stupid. Words not fit for a family web site for sure.

How ya been? Haven't heard from you in a while Phil.
I'm still around and doing pretty well. I still sail pretty often in the warmer weather.

I sign on regularly to get my daily PHOTO fix. Love your new photos, BTW. I know you wanted a nameboard. I like yours with the ribbon ends. Looks very classy.
Pages: 1 2