BYYB Forums

Full Version: the stripper needs a new pole
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
or mast as some may call it.

i had planned on using just a 2 1/2" oak stair rail and have it all ready to go, but then i got to planning themast steps and realized that a round pole in a round hole is going to want to spin around. i don't think that i like the idea of just a few pins holding it and i am not sure that it will be strong enough to handle the gail force winds we have here in the desert.

so i plan on making a new mast, i am thinking about just glueing up three pieces of 2 1/4" oak and rounding it above the mast step unless anyone else has a better idea. i think it is to small diamiter to mess with a birds mouth or else i would do one of those.
Not sure what type of boat you are planning to use it in...but can you flatten or plane two of the edges toward the bottom of the mast and put two shims or make the mast box fit it? Hard to explain over email...
i thought about that, but not sure that the pole will be strong enough for the sail.

i am building a 12' cedar strip dinghy from compumarine http://www.compumarine.com

[Image: Web%20CD%20Photo.JPG]

not mine by the way, but the same[/url]
Depending on your rig, it might not be bad that the mast spins around. A sprit rig, for instance, needs to be on a mast that turns freely. Lets the sail stream away from the wind in any direction when the mainsheet is let go.
i am of course going to have a gaff rig, so spinning would not be a good idea.
Sorry to take so long...

Here's what I did on the weekender, I'm sure you could do something similar on your dinghy. Just make the mast square to the top of the mast step.

[Image: Mast_Boot.JPG]
i think i am just going to use a kiln dried doug fir 2x4 for the mast. i am going to even leave it rectangle.