BYYB Forums

Full Version: Steering mechanism
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

csbellmd

I am about to start work on the steering hookup. I do not want to have u-bolts protruding from the lower rubrail, so I am looking for options. I like the modification by T. Nelson Surbrook that has been posted before but not the price of 5 pulleys. I was wondering about simply using the blocks of wood in the transom just like used in Surbrook's model, but instead hook the steering up just like in the plans. In other words: why couldn't you simply use a U bolt through the installed wood blocks (inside the transom and not protuding from the sides) with a turnbuckle on each side to take up the slack when needed. This way uses two pulleys instead of five.

This would work, wouldn't it? Is there some advantage to the method described by Surbrook?

Thanks in advance,
Clint
Clint you could always add the blocks later if need be. I think Nelson's steering set up is the best for the wheel steering. I am surprised more folks have not used it. I glued all the wood blocks in place to use Nelson's set up and then opted for a tiller as all my other boats at the time had tiller steering. Good luck, let us know how it works out for you.

Also, check sailboat parts on ebay, you can sometimes find some good deals on rigging there.

Robert Espe

now, I haven't used my weekender yet, so that is my disclaimer.

I put 2x stock wood blocks on the inner hull sides right where the U-bolts would have gone. Then, I put one of those harken pulley straps/deck mounting things on each block to hold a pulley. So, I get pulleys right where the plans say to have them, and they are mounted on similar hardware, but no holes in the hull. I haven't installed the turnbuckles yet, you could use two, although I was looking at Phil Gowan's Aloha, and he manage to use just one.
You can use one, provided you use a clamp on the spindle that when loosened will allow the rope to adjust. That can be as simple as a piece of metal that screws to the spindle with the rope under it. This way all slack is taken out by the one and you can center the wheel as desired. That way you don't need any knots or such. You might also check our rope clamps for attaching the ends of the rope to the mechanisms.