BYYB Forums

Full Version: Bowsprit
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I am considering extending the bowsprit about 12". Does anyone out there know if I will need a dolphin striker for additional strength?
You and Angie, I don't know. I think she put a point on hers, not sure about the dolphin striker though.
Maybe attach a tazer to the end for the jetskiers? Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue
I have a dolphin striker on my Vacationer, I haven't struck any dolphins with it yet but I did strike a hole in my head with it Saturday.
I say if you want it put it on. They look good and they serve a purpose. Mine is also handy for climing onto the boat when its on the trailer. It may also help to get back onboard from the water, but I haven't tried that yet.

Keith
Actually, I carved a figurehead for the front of Fat Chance. Here is a shot when I was working on it, maybe I can get Karl to post a photo of it now that it is installed. I think the ol gal looks pretty shippy!
http://groups.msn.com/SandbarsandDriftwo...hotoID=229

Mike Pennington would be the one to talk with about a dolphin striker. He has rigged his Vacationer as a cutter and extended the bowsprit considerably. It is a non-issue on a Weekender, she can't carry enough headsail to need a dolphin stiker.

Which brings me to trailboards, I want to run mine all the way out to the figurehead. Anybody got any ideas.... I have looked at several on traditional craft in the area and am guessing I will make them two part. Any ideas.... I have enlisted Karl for some expert advice on mounting them and helping me router them into something pretty. I am thinking about extending the "ol Maids" hair into the first section.... Ideas/suggestions?
My bowsprit is ten feet long, originally I believe it was eight feet for the Vacationer, I just replaced the old nine footer. The chain should go below each attachment point, where you have a sail.

If you can get the sails to work, I expect you'll need a down haul out on the end, I just rigged one on mine. The trouble with having a lot of sail all the way out there is, if it jams, some one gets to climb out there to fix it.

Twelve feet? Confusedhock: Uhm? I've walked around on a Weekender deck, are you sure that if you went out on a 12' stick the aft end won't come out of the water?

That chain has saved my bacon a couple of times, when going into the dock to fast, the bow just kind of rides up on the dock. Saws into the dock's wood a little bit, but beats pounding my boat :lol:

Check the location of your winch on the trailer, make sure you have enough tongue on your trailer, otherwise the chain might enterfere with the winch handle. Another point against an extended bowsprit, if your trailer is not long enough, your tow vehicle takes a few hard knocks from the old tommy knocker.
:oops:

[Image: normal_New_bowsprit.JPG]
Like Mike said, it is going to be hell dragging it around as the trailer will not track as well so far back..... or are you planning on removing it for trailering each time or maybe you drive a pick up truck with an open bed??

I find the jib already needs a downhaul, half the time I am out on the bow with the boat hook. I fly a 110 for the head sail and that is plenty for the weekender, the boat is well balanced.

Heck try it, you can always cut some of it off if it is drivng you crazy. I love it when folks deviate from the plans, map, rules, etc..... 8)
12 feet? I am an outgoing, adventurous soul, but not out of my mind. At least, not in that respect... :roll:

12 inches is all....maybe 18 inches after looking over again last night....
there are rules? :?

i wondered what the chain did - i've smacked the dock once and didn't like it at all Not At AlL...

a.
Quote:12 feet? I am an outgoing, adventurous soul, but not out of my mind. At least, not in that respect... :roll:

12 inches is all....maybe 18 inches after looking over again last night....

Keep in mind that they're talking about a Vacationer here - a much longer boat.
Pages: 1 2 3